Graffiti is more than words and symbols sprayed on a wall. Graffiti is an act of vandalism that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to clean up every year.
Consequences of graffiti include:
- Sending a message that nobody cares about the area.
- Causing an area to look unsafe making people feel concerned about their personal safety.
- Creating an open invitation for more littering, loitering, and other graffiti.
- Decreasing pride in a community, where businesses may suffer and neighbourhoods may deteriorate.
- Areas becoming less appealing to those who may be looking to buy or rent property.
- Properties becoming more difficult to sell and values are reduced.
Graffiti done without the owner's permission is not art, it's a CRIME!
- The City of Winnipeg graffiti removal service helps sponsor mural programs and provides materials to community groups willing to remove graffiti.
- The Winnipeg Police Service actively works with the community to control graffiti through enforcement, as well as prevention and awareness programs.
- Report graffiti vandals to Crime Stoppers.
- Take Pride Winnipeg!, in cooperation with the City of Winnipeg, focuses on education programs, organizes volunteer paint-outs, and manages the citywide mural program.
- Various Winnipeg BIZ associations, including the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ, also work in cooperation with the City of Winnipeg to help keep neighbourhoods graffiti-free.
- Contact 311.
For more information about the City of Winnipeg's Graffiti Removal Service and how to prevent graffiti in your area, please visit: https://winnipeg.ca/graffiticontrol.
Download the Graffiti Control Brochure: (upload the Graffiti removal brochure)
Download the Graffiti Control Brochure: