Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Watch Live and Archived Council and Committee Meetings
Council Building
City Clerk's

Commissioner for Oaths

What is an oath?

An oath is a solemn declaration that a statement is true. An oath must be taken before a Commissioner of Oaths or a Notary Public for it to be valid. Oaths are often used to confirm a written statement, known as an affidavit, for use in court, estate or land title transactions.

What is a Commissioner for Oaths?

In the Province of Manitoba, a Commissioner for Oaths is an individual who is empowered to administer and witness the swearing of oaths, and take and receive affidavits, statutory declarations and affirmations.

The person swearing an oath, making an affirmation or making a declaration is called a deponent or declarant. A Commissioner for Oaths only certifies that the required oath or affirmation or declaration has been properly administered. Commissioners for Oaths do not certify the truth of the statements contained in a document. This is the responsibility of the declarant.

A declarant must be physically present before the Commissioner for Oaths. Also, the Commissioner for Oaths must be satisfied about the authenticity of the deponent's or declarant's identity and signature before a he or she can sign the document. The declarant's signature must be confirmed by comparing the signature on at least one piece of current identification, such as a valid driver's license or on a provincial health insurance card.

A Commissioner for Oaths cannot certify or verify documents (they cannot make a photocopy of an original document and state that it is a true copy of the original). A Commissioner for Oaths cannot witness Enduring Power of Attorney forms.

Can a Commissioner for Oaths refuse to take an affidavit?

Yes. Documents signed by a Commissioner for Oaths could go to court. Since the Commissioner for Oaths must be able to defend these documents, they may refuse to take an affidavit for valid reasons.

Where can I find a Commissioner for Oaths?

The City Clerk's Department provides Commissioner for Oaths services for certain documents. Some examples are affidavits, statutory declarations and affirmations. Please note that the documents must be staying in Manitoba.

To find out if your document can be witnessed by a Commissioner for Oaths by the City Clerk’s Department, please contact 311 to inquire.

Additionally, you may be able to find Commissioner for Oaths at Real Estate Agencies, General Insurance Agencies, some Professional Accountants offices, some MLA and MP Constituency offices. It is a free service.

What if my document requires a signature from a Notary Public?

The City of Winnipeg does not have a notary Public and therefore cannot sign documents that must be signed by a Notary Public. Most lawyers are Notaries Public. You can also contact the Immigrant Centre.

For further information please contact:

Commissioner for Oaths/Notary Public Appointments,
Renewals and Authentications

Address: 1034-405 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB R3C 3L6,
Phone: 204-945-2654
Toll-free: 1-866-323-4249(in Manitoba)
Fax: 204-945-1459

* This office does not have a Notary Public or Commissioner for Oaths to witness documents for you.

Last update: September 23, 2020

Other Government Links

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.