Campaign signage

To report signage infractions, contact 311

Campaign signs on public property are regulated under the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law No. 1/2008, Part 4 and The Winnipeg Zoning By-law No. 200/2006, Section 182(1).

A campaign sign means any sign used to promote a candidate, but does not include identification signs reading "(name of candidate) campaign headquarters" or "(name) constituency (or other electoral area) office."

In accordance with Section 62 of the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law, campaign signs cannot be erected prior  to Saturday, September 3, 2022, and shall be removed by Wednesday, November 2, 2022.

The Neighbourhood Liveability By-law stipulates that a person must not place a sign within a street if it:

  • is a hazard or obstruction to vehicular or pedestrian traffic;
  • is attached to or obstructing a directional sign, a traffic control device or a sign erected, placed or authorized by the City of Winnipeg, the Province of Manitoba or the Government of Canada, including the post or standard supporting the sign or traffic control device;
  • causes damage to property, including trees or a structure within a street;
  • is located within a median or traffic island;
  • is attached to a pole, wall or other structure by something other than clear adhesive tape;

All campaign signage must display on its face, the name and telephone number of the person responsible for placing the sign or causing it to be placed, and the date the sign was placed.

Any and all signage not in compliance with The Neighbourhood Liveability By-law will be subject to removal, and will be destroyed.

Campaign signage cannot be placed within any street which is identified in Schedule “A" of the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law.

The Neighbourhood Liveability By-law further stipulates that a person must not place a sign within any street which is not identified on Schedule “A" if the sign:

  • is within 30 metres of an intersection, measured from the nearest curb of the intersection;
  • is within 30 metres of a turning lane, deceleration or acceleration lane or traffic storage lane;
  • is within 2 metres of a curb or the edge of a roadway;
  • is within 0.5 metres of a sidewalk;
  • is within 5.0 metres of a private access;
  • is permanently affixed;
  • is supported by string, rope, wire or metal stakes;
  • is a mobile sign;
  • is greater than 0.6 square metres in size;
  • is higher than 1 metre, measured from the existing grade to the top of the sign;
  • has more than 2 faces per sign;
  • is illuminated, electrified, spins or rotates;
  • could be reasonably mistaken for a street sign or a traffic control device;

Failure to comply with the by-laws may result in removal and destruction of signs.

The enforcement of street signage infractions falls under the jurisdiction of the Public Works Department (Streets Constables) as per the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law.

Report all signage infractions by contacting 311

Signage around voting locations

During voting hours, a sign or poster referring to the election of a candidate within 50 metres of a voting place, on both public and private property, is prohibited and will be removed and destroyed.

Schedule “A” of the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law – streets on which temporary signs are prohibited

Streets Length
Bishop Grandin Boulevard Between Kenaston Boulevard and Lagimodiere Boulevard
Bison Drive Between Waverley Street and Pembina Highway
Brookside Boulevard Entire length
Oak Point Highway Entire length
King Edward Street Entire length
Century Street Entire length
St. James Bridge Entire length
Kenaston Boulevard (ROUTE 90) Between Inkster Boulevard and Bishop Grandin Boulevard
Chief Peguis Trail Between Main Street and Lagimodiere Boulevard
Donald Street and Midtown Bridge Between Red River and Osborne Street
Dunkirk Drive and St. Vital Bridge Between Red River and Fermor Avenue
Fermor Avenue Between Dunkirk Drive and Plessis Road
Henderson Highway Between Red River and Glenway Avenue
Lagimodiere Boulevard Between Prairie Grove Road and North City Limit
Moray Street Between the north bank of the Assiniboine River and Portage Avenue
Osborne Street and Osborne Bridge Between Assiniboine River and St. Vital Bridge
Pembina Highway Between Osborne Street and South City Limit
Portage Avenue Between Spence Street and St. Charles Street
St. James Street Between Portage Avenue and Wellington Avenue
Waverley Street Between Taylor Avenue and Bison Drive
Wellington Avenue Between James A. Richardson International Airport and St. James Street
Grant Avenue Between Shaftesbury Boulevard and Roblin Boulevard
Main Street Between Logan Avenue and North City Limit
St. Anne’s Road Between Fermor Avenue and St Mary’s Road
St. Mary’s Road Between St. Anne’s Road and Queen Elizabeth Way
Corydon Avenue/Roblin Boulevard Between Shaftesbury Boulevard and West City Limit
Boulevard Provencher Entire length
William R. Clement Parkway Entire length
Wilkes Avenue Between Provincial Trunk Highway 100 and Shaftesbury Boulevard
Sterling Lyon Parkway Between Shaftesbury Boulevard and Victor Lewis Drive

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.