Candidates for Councillor

The following is a summary of information and considerations that all potential candidates for Councillor should be aware of before seeking election.


Persons eligible to be a candidate for Councillor must meet all of the following criteria:

  • a Canadian citizen;
  • 18 years old or older on Election Day, October 26, 2022;
  • a resident of Manitoba;
  • a voter; and
  • not be disqualified by law.

Becoming a candidate for Councillor involves two important steps:

  1. Registration Process; and
  2. Nomination Process

Registration process

Candidates for Councillor must register with the Senior Election Official before soliciting donations or incurring any campaign expenditures.

Through this process, a candidate becomes authorized to commence an election campaign. The candidate must identify the account utilized for all funds, an official agent and their auditor. Once registered, the candidate will receive nomination papers.

Candidates must complete a registration form and all applicable consent forms. Candidates must submit these, in-person, to the Senior Election Official.

Appointments are recommended and should be made in advance. Please contact for additional information.

Registration for candidates for Councillor begins on Thursday, June 30, 2022 and ends at 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, September 20, 2022.


Nomination process

Candidates must submit nomination papers which provide evidence of support from eligible voters.

Before a candidate is permitted to file nomination papers, they must have already filed their registration form. Nomination papers are provided to prospective candidates at the time of registration.

Nomination period begins on Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, September 20, 2022.

All nomination papers must be filed in-person with the Senior Election Official at the City Clerk's Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., including Saturday and Sunday.

Appointments are recommended and should be made in advance. Please contact for additional information.

The deadline to file nomination papers is 4:30 p.m. Tuesday September 20, 2022.

Nomination Papers for the Office of Councillor must have a minimum of 25 signatures of voters whose names appear on the voters list for the council ward in which they are seeking election. Candidates must use the voters list provided to confirm that they have acquired the signatures of 25 eligible voters.

All nomination papers will be available for public inspection. A list of nominated candidates will be available on this website.

Campaign Period

The campaign period is the time during which a registered candidate, or any person acting on their behalf, can accept contributions or incur campaign expenses.

The campaign period commences upon registration (registration begins June 30, 2022). It is only during this period that candidates can solicit contributions and expend funds for the purposes of election.

The Campaign Expenses and Contributions Guide outlines the regulations for campaign financing and the requirement to file an audited financial statement.

Campaign Expenses and Contributions

The Campaign Expenses and Contributions By-law regulates campaign expenses and contributions to candidates, and includes limits on contribution amounts received and expenses incurred.

Audited Financial Statements

All registered candidates must file an audited financial statement with the Campaign Expenses and Contributions Officer. Please refer to the Campaign Expenses and Contributions Guide for additional information on this matter.

Rebate of Election Contributions

Individuals making contributions to a registered candidate are able to apply for a rebate in accordance with the Rebate of Election Contributions By-law. The Campaign Expenses and Contributions Guide explains this in further detail.

It is recommended that individuals interested in becoming a candidate for Councillor read the following guides for detailed information:

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.