Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Community Services

Fee Subsidy Program

Recreation is for everyone!

The goal of the City of Winnipeg Recreation Services Fee Subsidy Program is to expand access to recreation opportunities and experiences for Winnipeggers, regardless of economic family income.

Type of subsidies

There are two main types of subsidies available:

  1. Facility passes – Admission to the City of Winnipeg’s recreation facilities (swimming pools and leisure centres). Valid for one year from the date issued.
  2. Activity credits – Registered Leisure Guide activities (including skating & swimming) as well as drop-in active living programs

Who qualifies?

You must be a City of Winnipeg resident and one of the following must apply:

  • You have a social assistance case number
  • You are a new permanent resident or refugee who has been in Canada for less than 18 months and have not filed a tax return.
  • You have an economic family income below the low income cut-off (LICO) (amounts listed below)
Economic family size Total income
1 $26,620
2 $33,141
3 $40,743
4 $49,467
5 $56,105
6 $63,276
7 $70,449
More than 7 for each additional person, add $7,173

Note: Other considerations may be made for special circumstances.

(Sources: Statistics Canada and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada)

"Economic family” refers to a group of two or more persons who live in the same dwelling and are related to each other by blood, marriage, common-law union, adoption or a foster relationship.

How to apply

  1. Fill out the application form

    After you fill out the application form, please save it to your computer. The completed form can either be submitted by email or printed and submitted by mail or fax, as per the instructions below.

    If you cannot provide the required documentation for verification of economic need but do meet the criteria, and you have a relationship with a third party organization that can verify your economic need, please use the Third Party Referral application form.

  2. Provide verification of economic need (required only once per year)

    Along with your application form, you will need to include a copy of one of the following (if it has not already been supplied in the past 12 months):

    • Social assistance budget letter
    • Documentation showing your landing date in Canada and UCI number
    • Most recent Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment identifying annual net income of all economic family members
    • Monthly statement of income from CPP Disability (including the income verification of all economic family members)

  3. Submit your completed application form and verification of economic need (if it has not already been supplied in the past 12 months)
    • Email:
    • Mail:
      Fee Subsidy Program
      Community Services Department
      7th Floor, 395 Main St.
      Winnipeg, MB R3B 3N8

Please note: the City cannot guarantee the security of your personal information if you choose to submit by email.

What happens next?

You will receive a letter indicating the outcome of your application in the mail. Please make sure you have provided a daytime phone number; we will call you if we have any questions.

Important information if you are applying for a program subsidy for registered Leisure Guide activities/swimming lessons:

  • Applications should be submitted prior to the registration start dates.
  • If approved, applicants are responsible for completing their own registrations.
  • A fee subsidy credit will be added to the account of each individual identified on the application.
  • The fee subsidy credit is an annual credit intended to be applied towards all Leisure Guide sessions for a period of 12 months from approval.
  • The fee subsidy credit cannot be used to purchase admissions, visits/memberships, facility rentals, gift cards or POS items.
  • The fee subsidy credit is not transferrable and has no cash value.

Resources for third party referrals

Third Party Referral Application Form Orientation Sheet
Third Party Referral Application Form.

For more information on the Fee Subsidy Program, please call 311 or email

More information on Leisure Guide registration.

More information on Equipment Loan Fee Subsidies.

Last update: March 8, 2023

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.