Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Film and Special Events

When Do I Need a Film Permit?

While filming in Winnipeg, many activities will require a permit. You must register your production with the Film office if you are planning on filming in a public area. This applies even if you do not require a permit.

All requests for goods and services from the City of Winnipeg must be triaged through the office of Film & Special Events, regardless if you’ve worked with a City employee directly in the past.

You will require a permit if:

  • Filming takes place on public property (ie. parks, libraries, arenas, community centres)
  • Traffic will be interrupted on any city street
  • Pedestrian traffic on sidewalks will be interrupted
  • A dolly or tri-pod is used on streets or sidewalks**
  • Wires or cables run across or over sidewalks**
  • A generator is used on a sidewalk or street**
  • Public parking will be impacted
  • Excessive noise
  • Production vehicle parking (two axels or more)
  • Use of firearms
  • Use of pyrotechnics or fire

** Please note that if your work or equipment on the sidewalk leaves less than 1.5 meters, you must close the sidewalk. This is to ensure safe passage of the general public regardless of their ability.

If your project does not require a permit, please proceed to the Register Your Production on the navigation bar to the left.

For more comprehensive guidelines, please call Shelly Anthis at 204-986-2138.

Last update: August 19, 2021

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.