When Do I Need a Film Permit?
While filming in Winnipeg, many activities will require a permit. You must register your production with the Film office if you are planning on filming in a public area. This applies even if you do not require a permit.
All requests for goods and services from the City of Winnipeg must be triaged through the office of Film & Special Events, regardless if you’ve worked with a City employee directly in the past.
You will require a permit if:
- Filming takes place on public property (ie. parks, libraries, arenas, community centres)
- Traffic will be interrupted on any city street
- Pedestrian traffic on sidewalks will be interrupted
- A dolly or tri-pod is used on streets or sidewalks**
- Wires or cables run across or over sidewalks**
- A generator is used on a sidewalk or street**
- Public parking will be impacted
- Excessive noise
- Production vehicle parking (two axels or more)
- Use of firearms
- Use of pyrotechnics or fire
** Please note that if your work or equipment on the sidewalk leaves less than 1.5 meters, you must close the sidewalk. This is to ensure safe passage of the general public regardless of their ability.
If your project does not require a permit, please proceed to the Register Your Production on the navigation bar to the left.
For more comprehensive guidelines, please call Shelly Anthis at 204-986-2138.