Licensing requirements for service personnel

The Fire Prevention By-law No. 35/2017 contains requirements for servicing agencies that inspect, test and maintain fire protection and life safety installations. These include:

  • A definition for "Trades Licence" which means the relevant Provincial Trades Licence issued by the Manitoba Department of Labour.
  • A Licensed Service Person must hold a valid license for inspecting, testing and maintaining fire protection and life safety systems.
  • The licence is issued by the Winnipeg Fire Department subject to verification of qualifications.
  • Licences are valid for the duration of your trades licence or in the case of other qualifications for fire protection or life safety installations it will coincide with the expiry date of the qualification. If there is no expiry date the applicant may choose the duration of the licence from 1-4 years.
  • The change in any duration more than one year will be reflected in the fees with a 10% discount. All City of Winnipeg fees and charges increase annually for inflation. The fee is not reduced for a period of time shorter than the validity period of any trades licence held by the person to whom the service licence is being issued. The By-Law includes a fee for a service person renewing a licence that has expired. (see Fire Inspection Fees and Service Rates).
    Fire inspection fees and service rates
  • It is an offense for a service person to fill out a label without having a licence or to provide false information on a label. A service person who contravenes the label requirements will be liable to a fine of $690.00. (The fine may be discounted to $300.00 plus court costs if paid within 14 days of the offence notice.)
  • It is an offense for a building owner to permit an illegal label to be attached.

Online payments - license renewals and new license applications

A license may be obtained from the Fire Prevention Office by submitting Qualified service person licence form.
If you have any questions, please call 204-986-8200 or email

Who requires a licence

Any person servicing the following:

  • Fire alarm systems
  • Emergency power systems
  • Firefighters full service elevators
  • Firefighters partial service elevators (residential occupancies upgraded to 4304/86 Residential Buildings Fire Safety By-law
  • Emergency unit lighting
  • Fire pumps
  • Sprinkler systems (more than 9 sprinkler heads)
  • Hose systems
  • Standpipe systems
  • Heating systems – fuel fired
  • Smoke control systems for high buildings
  • Special extinguishing systems – water-based
  • Special extinguishing systems – wet & dry chemical
  • Special extinguishing systems – gas based
  • Portable fire extinguishers
  • Commercial cooking equipment – inspection of suppression systems
  • Commercial cooking equipment – cleaning
  • Private hydrants
  • Fire extinguisher trainer

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.