OurWinnipeg 2045 Update
Council gave third reading of OurWinnipeg 2045 and Complete Communities Direction Strategy 2.0 and adopted the by-laws on May 26, 2022. The following Plans are in effect:
OurWinnipeg 2045 Strategic Priorities Action Plan (SPAP) process
The Public Service has initiated a strategic planning process, described on page 37 of OurWinnipeg 2045. On September 22, 2022 Council adopted the SPAP process to establish a new, recurring strategic planning process an incoming Council can use to prepare its first SPAP following the civic election in October 2022, and subsequent Councils can refine and use following future civic elections. Adopting the strategic planning process would result in better alignment between the civic election cycle, Council strategic planning, and the existing multiyear balanced budget process.
The timeline includes:
- Phase 1: Process Development: April 2022- October 2022 has occurred in consultation with current Council members and an interdepartmental City advisory committee to integrate recommendations into the proposed strategic planning process.
- Phase 2: Priority Setting with incoming Mayor and Council: November 2022- April 2023 is proposed to occur with incoming Council members. The public will have an opportunity for input through candidate election campaigns and the proposed SPAP approvals process through Community Committee and Executive Policy Committee delegations. Existing master and strategic plans have included public engagement, and will be shared with incoming Council to identify alignment with election commitments, including the OurWinnipeg 2045 development plan.
The City of Winnipeg has undertaken an extensive review and update of OurWinnipeg, and the Complete Communities Direction Strategy. OurWinnipeg is the City's 25-year development plan which is intended to guide everything the City does. It provides a vision, goals and policies intended to influence leadership and good governance, priority setting, delivery of City services, how residents get around in the city, and decisions about how the city grows. It also influences how environmentally resilient, economically prosperous, healthy, and socially equitable the City will be to increase the quality of life for all residents. The Complete Communities Direction Strategy is a city-wide secondary plan that guides growth, development, and land use in Winnipeg.
There were three phases of engagement during the review process. After connecting with thousands of Winnipeggers in Phase 1, Phase 2 engaged key stakeholders, and Phase 3 presented the revised plans to the public. Thank you to those who participated in the virtual events and provided feedback online from July 15 to August 10, 2020. Your feedback was analyzed and considered to draft the final OurWinnipeg 2045 and Complete Communities Direction Strategy 2.0 for Council consideration.
Throughout the review, a Community Advisory Committee made up of Winnipeg residents has provided advice on community-based issues, public engagement activities, city-wide priorities, and other OurWinnipeg-related issues. This committee also helps us connect with as many networks and community members as possible.
Phase 1 (2017): Understanding What's Important and Imagining the Future
The OurWinnipeg project team attended community events and festivals, planned focused discussions, and provided ways for the public to be involved through the speakupwinnipeg.com website.
- Phase 1 Public Engagement: Report Back to the Community (2018)
- Employment and Commercial Lands Study
Phase 2 (2018 to early 2019): Confirming the Vision and Exploring Possibilities
This phase involved discussions with subject matter experts, community stakeholders, and City departments to reflect on relevance and effectiveness of policy.
Phase 2 Engagement Summaries that informed the development of the draft plans are available here:
Phase 3 (late 2019 to 2020): Finalizing the Plan
This phase includes updating OurWinnipeg and Complete Communities Direction Strategy policy through an interdepartmental co-creation process. It was based on the evidence of the current state of the community, public and key stakeholder feedback, review of other City plans and strategies, and collecting feedback on draft plans through an interactive process to build consensus.
Phase 3 Engagement Summaries that informed policy revisions to the Draft plans are available here:
Plan Approval (2021-2022)
Following the three phases of the review, a formal approval process occurred, which involved a public hearing with the Executive Policy Committee. First and Second Reading of the by-law was reviewed by Council for both plans before Provincial approval was achieved for OurWinnipeg 2045. OurWinnipeg 2045 and Complete Communities 2.0 by-laws received Third Reading. The detailed process and meeting links are listed below.
- May 26, 2022 - Council gave OurWinnipeg 2045, and Complete Communities 2.0 by-laws third reading.
- May 10, 2022 - Correspondence from the Minister of Municipal Relations confirming the edits address the conditions of OurWinnipeg 2045 approval.
- April 28, 2022 - Council endorsed proposed OurWinnipeg 2045 edits that comply with the Minister of Municipal Relations conditions of approval.
- April 20, 2022– Executive Policy Committee endorsed proposed OurWinnipeg 2045 edits that comply with the Minister of Municipal Relations conditions of approval.
- January 26, 2022– Correspondence from the Minister of Municipal Relations gave OurWinnipeg 2045 approval with three conditions to be met. Policy clarifications were requested related to capital planning region, secondary plan processes, and the Airport Vicinity Protection Area regulation.
- July 22, 2021 - Council gave Second Reading.
- June 24, 2021 - Council gave approval with amendments
- June 16, 2021 - Continuation of public hearing at Executive Policy Committee. Recommended approval with amendments.
- May 13, 2021 - Public hearing at Executive Policy Committee
- January 28, 2021 - Council gave First Reading
- January 20, 2021 - Executive Policy Committee recommended Council give First Reading
Plan Implementation (2022)
Implementing the OurWinnipeg plan appropriately is essential if we are to achieve our goals. The development of a Strategic Priorities Action Plan will be guided by an evidence-informed process of identifying key indicators to recognize information, community trends, and issues. Further community engagement will be necessary during this process. This will enable the City to better understand the 'state of the community' when setting priorities, developing budget proposals and service plans, building partnerships and measuring progress in alignment with OurWinnipeg goals, objectives and policy across the City organization.