Planning the future of our city is important. The majority of the world's people now live in cities, and urban governments are on the forefront of global development. More than ever before, cities are the leading production centres for culture and innovation, are the leaders on global issues like climate change, and, if they are to compete successfully for sustainable growth, are required to deliver a high quality of life.
Understanding the role municipal government plays in complex community issues and delivering services is also important. That is why during Phase 1 public engagement we asked questions about five interconnected topic areas: How we Grow; Quality of Life; Civic Engagement and Governance; Health and Safety; and Getting Around in the City. We also presented environmental sustainability, economic prosperity and social equity lenses that have evolved over the course of the review.
Read the document outlining all topic areas and lenses.
Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, the United Nations facilitated the commitment of governments and leaders, including the Government of Canada, to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development with seventeen sustainable development goals (SDGs). It is a call for justice and action at every level of government, community, business and residents to organize resources, demonstrate leadership, and take action to achieve the document's ambitious goals.
OurWinnipeg localizes the SDG intentions into a manageable set of six interconnected goals that align with City purposes outlined in the Charter and existing City policy and strategies to achieve a high quality of life for all residents. The six goals form the foundation for the OurWinnipeg vision, objectives and policy direction. These goals and objectives include:
Leadership and Good Governance
- Establish and implement priority actions through evidence-informed decision-making processes.
- Promote trust and government responsiveness through meaningful, inclusive and informed community engagement.
- Achieve community-responsive service delivery through an aligned, integrated, collaborative and results-oriented organizational culture.
- Prioritize the transition to a resilient, low-carbon future through demonstrated organizational and community leadership, and collaborative actions that mitigate and adapt to a changing climate.
- Prioritize sustainable transportation as the mobility options of choice.
- Promote low-carbon, energy-efficient buildings through low-energy building design, construction and retrofitting.
- Minimize and divert waste from landfill.
- Protect and value ecosystems as essential components to quality of life.
- Ensure transparent and predictable conditions are in place to support desired business growth through attraction, investment, and retention.
- Advance strategic economic opportunities through a focus on innovation.
- Address poverty as an unacceptable and costly outcome of systemic barriers, through collaboration with the community and other government bodies.
- Make strategic use of community and regional assets to optimize local economic competitiveness.
Good Health and Well-Being
- Enable access to basic needs for good physical and mental health.
- Support positive health outcomes through the built and natural environments.
- Proactively identify and address threats to community safety and well-being.
- Uphold human rights so that no one is left behind.
- Build bridges spanning ideas, cultures, identities and generations on a foundation of truth, understanding, and rights-based reconciliation.
- Build social cohesion through community development solutions, coordinated, effective partnerships, and responsive service delivery.
- Responsibly plan, prioritize and accommodate growth in areas that best support Complete Communities principles, to achieve this Plan's sustainable development goals.
- Integrate resilient land use, transportation and infrastructure planning, and investments.
- Facilitate development opportunities that complete established communities, and plan new communities as complete and connected from the outset.