Alarm Permits - Frequently Asked Questions

For information about alarm permits, contact 311

Do I need to get an alarm permit?

Any alarm system (monitored or non-monitored) operating within the City of Winnipeg must have a current alarm permit.

Where do I get a permit?

Permits are available at any police station in the City of Winnipeg or on our website.

How much do permits cost?

Alarm permits are $28 for residential properties and $39 for commercial properties.

Who do I make my cheque payable to?

Make cheques payable to the City of Winnipeg.

Does the City take credit cards?

Yes, we accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

How can I pay for a new alarm permit?


  • You can renew your permit online. To renew your permit online you will need your permit and account number from the renewal notice.

In person:

  • At 245 Smith St – Cashier 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays) cash, cheque, debit or credit card payment.
  • Drop off at any Police Service Center, daily from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. cheque or credit card only NO CASH

Mail to:

Alarm Coordinator
PO Box 1639
Winnipeg, MB R3C 2Z6

What information must I provide on the alarm permit application?

For monitored alarms:

  • The monitoring company name

For audible alarm systems:

  • The names of two key holders

Can I send a completed renewal form with my credit card information, as an email attachment?

No, but you can use the online payment option.

What is a key holder?

A key holder is a person who does not live at the monitored address and who will be called by the monitoring company or by the Police when the alarm is activated and the owner cannot be contacted.

Can I transfer my permit when I move?

Permits are not transferable from one address to another.

I’ve bought a business that has an alarm permit; can I use that one?

No. If there is a new owner a new permit must be completed.

How do I get replacement stickers if they were damaged, lost, or inadvertently placed in the wrong location?

You can contact 311. You can request a replacement decal by giving your name and the address of the alarm permit. The replacement decal will be sent to you by mail.

Does the permit expire?

Permits expire every four years.

How much is the renewal amount?

The alarm permit renewal fee is $27 for commercial and residential permits.

Where do I place my alarm decal?

Decals should be displayed in a location visible to Police usually near the front door.

How do I cancel my Alarm Permit?

Contact 311 and provide the address which is listed for the permit.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.