To obtain other permits, visit City of Winnipeg Public Works Department Permit Service.

Alarm permit

Permits are required for alarm systems installed in any residential or commercial building under By-Law No. 4676/87 (Alarm By-Law).

Alarm Permit Changes: On July 1, 2008 City Council approved a change to the existing Alarm Bylaw 4676/87. Alarm Permits now expire and are subject to a renewal every four years.

The renewal process enables the Winnipeg Police Service to update its data base to reflect accurate, current information for all alarm systems within the City of Winnipeg. 

To renew your permit online you will need your permit and invoice number from the renewal notice.

For additional information, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

To have a paper application mailed to you, or if you require further information, please call 311.

Please note: Section 5(1) of the Alarm Bylaw states, no person shall keep an alarm system unless a valid and subsisting alarm permit has been issued. Section 7(1), a person in contravention is guilty of an offense and may be subject to a fine.

Noise permit

Noise permits must be applied for in writing, preferably on organization letterhead.  The letter requesting a noise permit must contain the following:

  • Name of the Organization
  • Contact person (permit holder) and phone number
  • Location of event
  • Date of Event
  • Start and end time of the event
  • Approximate number of people expected to attend the event
  • A copy of the “Agreement to Use Facility” if the event is held in a City park.

There is no cost for the issuing of a noise permit.   The letter of request should be submitted a minimum of four weeks prior to the event, if possible, to:

The Chief of Police
245 Smith Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3C 2Z7
Fax: 204-986-6077

View Noise Permit Application

Parade permit

A Parade Permit must be obtained from the Winnipeg Police Service for any parade on a roadway where participants wish to be exempt from Highway Traffic Act compliance.

The parade permit application must be accompanied by a valid General Liability Insurance Certificate and must be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to the event date, but preferably as early after January 1st of each year as possible to have the best opportunity of booking the required Police escort for the desired parade date.

Download the Parade Permit Application and Application Guide.

The application must be completed in full and along with a certificate of insurance may be submitted via email (preferable) to the address listed on the application, or send by mail to:

Winnipeg Police Service
Chief of Police,
P.O. Box 1680,
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3C 2Z7

All permitted parades require a Police escort.

Due to the potential for severe traffic disruptions, parade permits will not be issued for any event occurring during either of the rush-hour periods (07:00-09:00 hours, or 15:30-17:30 hours, Monday-Friday).

There is currently no cost for the issuing of a parade permit, however submission of a valid General Liability Insurance Certificate is required and some applicants may incur a cost obtaining this insurance.

Questions may be directed by email to WPS Special Events or by phone to 204-986-5403.

Discharge weapon permit

-Download the Discharge Weapon Permit PDF Format - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader [81kb]

Permit applications must be received a minimum of one week prior to the event date.

Completed discharge weapon permit applications can be submitted by fax to 204-986-6077 or call 204-986-6037 for assistance.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.