Protecting your vehicle and contents
We all have a role to play in safety & crime prevention.
Most property crimes, such as thefts from vehicles, are crimes of opportunity. Taking steps to discourage crooks from targeting your car can be simple as ensuring any valuables in your vehicle are removed from plain sight and displaying one of our All Valuables Removed signs in your window.
Display an All Valuables Removed window card to discourage would-be thieves
- The All Valuables Removed program is intended to help you protect your belongings from theft and vandalism.
- Displaying the bright yellow theft prevention card can be a deterrent to thieves saving you reporting, insurance costs, missed work and towing charges.
- It also acts as a reminder to other drivers to protect their valuables.
All Valuables Removed cards are just one of the tools to help you prevent theft from your vehicle.
To effectively reduce thefts from vehicles across the city, it must be used with other tools such as enforcement, community awareness and prevention.
Thefts from vehicles are more likely to occur in areas with many vehicles and minimal pedestrian traffic. Regardless of location, the risk is increased in any place where a vehicle is left running, unattended, unlocked, or with valuables in plain view.
Thefts from vehicles are a crime of opportunity. Give would-be thieves a reason to by-pass your vehicle as a potential target:
- Remove valuables and shopping bags from view. This includes loose change and electronic devices.
- Don't leave personal identification, vehicle registration, insurance documents or credit cards in your vehicle.
- Never leave your vehicle running and unattended.
- Always close windows and lock doors.
- Never leave your car, house keys or garage opener in your vehicle.
- Park in well-lit areas with pedestrian traffic.
Safety & Crime Prevention starts with you!