Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Winnipeg Police Service

About the Service - Evidence Control Unit

Evidence Control Unit | How to Recover Property | Stolen Bicycles
Unclaimed Property | Frequently Asked Questions

How to Recover Property

Contacting Evidence Control Unit

If you know your property has been confiscated by police as a result of a seizure or recovery, please call the Evidence Control Unit at 204-986-6280 to determine if your property is here. We will be happy to check on your behalf to determine if your property is here, however public viewing of recovered property is not permitted.

When you contact our office, please have your occurrence (file) number and other details (i.e. Officer's name, date of event, property description, etc) ready. This will aid our staff in locating your property.

Claiming Recovered Property

Often, each situation requires specific instructions on how property is released.

Normally it takes 48 hours for the property to be retrieved / delivered to our release staging area. Please contact the Evidence Control Unit at 204-986-6280 prior to attending in the event your property is not at our facility. Having as much information as possible (occurrence (file) numbers, names, dates, etc) ready when you call will avoid delays or problems in locating your property.

In some cases, special release procedures are required in order to preserve necessary court evidence for prosecution purposes. Please contact us to ensure your property can be released prior to court and an appointment can be made to perform the release.

In certain circumstances, you may send written authorization with the agent in the form of a letter signed by you. If you have received a letter from us, please read it carefully for special instructions including whether or not an 'agent' attendance is authorized or permitted.

Arrangements can be made (in some circumstances) to have property couriered to out of town residents, however this will be done so at the owner's expense.

Releasing Property After Court Proceedings

Due to the variety of possibilities that exist under these circumstances (nature of offence, type of property, existence of other related charges, other accused persons in same case, etc), there is no consistent way to release property at the conclusion of court proceeding. You may make inquiries with your defence lawyer, the investigating member, etc to obtain direction on retrieving your property. You may also contact us at 204-986-6280 and we can provide further instructions if necessary.

All evidence relating to concluded cases must be held for appeal/retention periods that can run anywhere from one month to several years, depending on the circumstances. In these cases, if the property is requested prior to expiration of those appeal/retention periods, it is usually only released by producing a Court Order in advance of attendance. Again, even these are subject to review prior to release, so there is a chance that it could take several days to resolve.

Firearm Release

Firearms and the acquisition/possession/storage of them, is covered by a variety of legislative requirements. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:

(a) be the holder of a valid Possession Acquisition License,

(b) have each firearm registered, and

(c) ensure you are in compliance with storage/transportation regulations.

Please read the letter carefully and follow the instructions contained therein. If you are still unsure as to the requirements, or you did not receive a letter from us, please contact us at 204-986-6345 and have the pertinent information ready (i.e. Occurrence (file) number, dates, officer's information, etc). You may also contact the Canadian Firearms Center at 1-800-731-4000.

Property Auctions

Property auctions are held 2 to 3 times per year. Information on these auctions will be announced on this website, papers, radio and T.V. with date, time and location.

CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.