Frequently Asked Questions

When will we be hiring next for the position of Police Constable?

Unfortunately we are unable to provide advanced notice of when to expect the next application intake. Please check the website periodically for upcoming postings.

Are there associated fees to apply?

While there are no fees to submit an application, there are various documents you will be required to provide throughout the application process. All costs incurred in order to obtain documentation are the responsibility of the applicant.

How long does the recruitment process take?

The recruitment process can take anywhere from 8 - 12 months from the application deadline to the start of class.

Is post-secondary education a requirement?

It is not a requirement to apply, however post-secondary education is considered a preferred qualification.

Is a MB Class 4F Driver's License required to apply?

It is not required at time of application. However, all applicants that proceed through the process will be required to have a Class 4F driver's license. The process of obtaining a Class 4F driver's license can be lengthy. Planning ahead is recommended. For further information, please contact Manitoba Public Insurance.

I was educated outside of Canada. Will proof of that education be accepted?

Applicants who have been educated outside of Canada must have education which is comparable to the minimum qualifications in Canada. To verify this, we require an official academic assessment report issued by one of the members of the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada (ACESC). While either type of report can be submitted, only a Basic/General report is required.

How do I ensure that I am a competitive applicant?

A competitive applicant will display a strong balance between education, life experience, work experience, and a demonstrated commitment towards community involvement.

If I have been charged and convicted of a Criminal Code offence, can I still apply?

Yes however, any applicant that has been convicted of a Criminal Code offence must first obtain a pardon. Please note that it can take up to two years to receive a pardon.

Are there any age restrictions to apply?

You must be a minimum of 18 years of age at time of application. There is no age maximum.

Do I get paid while on training?

Yes. While you are attending the Training Academy, you will receive 16 weeks of full paid training.

Do I have to be a Cadet prior to becoming a Police Constable?

No. However, the Winnipeg Police Cadet program is a great opportunity for those looking for a glimpse into law enforcement, not only with the Winnipeg Police Service, but towards a variety of other careers outside of the Winnipeg Police Service.

Will I automatically become a Police Constable if I am a Cadet?

No, you will still be required to apply for the position of Police Officer.

I received an email stating I have been placed "on hold". What does that mean?

Applicants who have been placed on hold have not been rejected, however due to certain circumstances we are unable to move them forward in the process. In the event circumstances change, we may be in contact with you.

Could you provide me with feedback on what to improve on for future applications?

Because we are an employer of choice, we routinely receive hundreds of applications for a single competition. This in turn creates a highly competitive selection process for our applicants and several aspects are considered when trying to select the most qualified. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applicants, there is no provision for feedback at any point in the selection process.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.