Sexual assault

Have you been sexually assaulted? Know someone who has? There is help and the survivor has options for what happens next.

The Sexual Assault Response Team at the Health Sciences Centre Emergency is a critical first step in getting medical & emotional care.

SART includes specially trained nurses, sexual assault crisis workers from Klinic Community Health and investigators from the Winnipeg Police Service.

The level of care you receive and whether or not you make a police report is your choice.

If you’re unsure about where to get medical attention, would like to talk about your options or want to talk to a counsellor, please call the Sexual Assault Crisis Program Line 24/7:

  • 204-786-8631
  • 1-800-292-7565

It's not your fault, and you are not alone.

What should a person do after a sexual assault?

To report a sexual assault, call 9-1-1 in emergency situations or 204-986-6222 for non-emergency situations. To speak to a detective from the Sex Crimes Unit in confidence, call 204-986-6245.

Victims of sexual assault are encouraged to attend the Health Sciences Centre where a formal Sexual Assault Protocol Exam program is in place to help you during this difficult time. You can, however, attend any hospital emergency room for assistance if it is a medical emergency.

To help the police gather evidence, do not:

  • shower or bathe;
  • change or throw away your clothes;
  • wash your hands or comb your hair;
  • brush your teeth;
  • smoke;
  • chew gum;
  • take any drugs or alcohol;
  • disturb the area of the occurrence.

Tell the police or hospital staff immediately if you think you may have been drugged by a date-rape or other intoxicating substances. Testing for drugs requires a urine sample within approximately 12 hours after the drugs were taken, or the toxins are naturally flushed from your system.

There is no time limit for reporting and laying charges for a sexual assault. But in any case, the sooner you call the police, the easier it is for them to collect the evidence needed to prove the charge.

Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program

The Health Science Centre Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program recently expanded to provide support to adult and adolescent patients who self-disclose as a victim of Intimate Partner Violence (IPV).  A team of specially trained nurses will meet with you to discuss options, provide medical care, help report to police and collect forensic evidence if you choose. They will give you resources and connect  you with follow up resources if you wish as well..

The IPV window is 10 days from the time of the incident and examinations will be performed for those patients with any physical or sexual assault, including strangulation.  A victim may attend to HSC on their own or in the company of Police to have an exam completed.

This video gives you a sense of what the program is about and what to expect:

To access these services go to the Children's or Adult Emergency Department at Health Sciences Centre or call 204-787-2071 and ask for the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner.

Proceeding with a police investigation

If you choose to proceed with a police investigation, detectives may meet you at the Health Sciences Centre and interview you regarding your incident. The interview will be videotaped and may be used for court purposes.

The police investigation is conducted by a team of professionals and volunteers specially trained to handle sexual assaults and provide support to victims. This team includes:

  • Detectives from the Sex Crimes Unit (both male and female)
  • Specially trained nurses (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners)
  • Trained Klinic volunteers for counseling
  • Follow-up assistance from Victim Services Unit

The Sex Crimes Unit is available to you throughout the entire investigation. The Victim Services Unit contacts you, in confidence, to suggest counseling services and a variety of other services that may help you get through this difficult time.


In certain cases, the police must become involved, even if a victim chooses not to proceed with a police investigation. Those exceptions occur when:

  • The offender is an intimate or domestic partner. The Winnipeg Police Services policy on domestic violence requires police to proceed with the investigation if there are reasonable grounds to believe the victim was assaulted by a domestic partner.
  • The sexual assault involved a child under 14 years old.

Third party reporting of sexual assault offences

The Winnipeg Police Service, in partnership with Klinic Community Health Centre, Heart Medicine Lodge (Ka Ni Kanichihk) and Sage House (Mount Carmel Clinic) is pleased to announce the development of a new protocol in the City of Winnipeg for survivors of sexual abuse. Third Party Reporting offers survivors the option of reporting the details of their case anonymously to the WPS through a third-party community-based victim services agency.

Online dating crime prevention tips

  • Consider using a credible online dating site; most require a user fee.
  • Do some research; thoroughly vet the sites you plan to use.
  • Never disclose private information on online dating sites.
  • Check the name of the person you are meeting through an online search engine.
  • Be aware of personal risks. Initial meetings should be in a public place.
  • Do not meet someone alone or at the very least, tell a friend or family member about whom and where you are meeting, including the person’s contact information and a screenshot of the ad.
  • Set up a safety check-in with someone you trust for after your meeting.
  • Be wary of requests for money.
  • Follow your instincts - if something feels wrong, it probably is.


Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.