Vehicle inspections & load requirements

The Vehicle Inspection Section works in close partnership with the commercial vehicle community and MPI Vehicle Standards to keep Winnipeg roadways safe through education and enforcement. This includes:

  • Conducting commercial vehicle safety inspections.
  • Enforcing of city, provincial and federal; bylaws and regulations.
  • Assisting with oversized loads.
  • Conducting roadside safety checks on light (under 4500 kg) vehicles.

Commercial safety inspections

Vehicle Inspection Section officers are accredited Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) Inspectors. This qualifies them to conduct cursory mechanical inspections on commercial vehicles and enforce transportation industry legislation, including driver qualification, hours of operation, mechanical fitness, load/cargo security and the transportation of dangerous goods.

Inspections are carried out year-round throughout the city.

Here is a snapshot of what a commercial vehicle inspection might look like:

By-laws and regulations

Commercial vehicle regulation links

Oversized vehicles & loads

Oversized loads require police escorts. Operators of oversized vehicles or loads must obtain an over-dimensional permit and arrange for an escort before moving within city limits.

Find out more about applicable weights and dimensions.

The Vehicle Inspection Section requires at least three days' notice to arrange an escort.  Copies of the permit and escort requests must be received by the Vehicle Inspection Section no later than the end of business on the day prior to the scheduled escort.  The carrier is responsible to ensure that the Vehicle Inspection Section has received all required documentation.

To arrange an escort, contact the Winnipeg Police Service Vehicle Inspection Section at 204-986-8003, seven days a week between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.  Fax number is 204-986-4697.  These numbers are for over-dimensional escorts only, general vehicle inspection related questions should be directed to 204-794-4711.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.