Business Improvement Zones

A Business Improvement Zone (BIZ) enhances economic development for businesses in a specific neighbourhood. The City of Winnipeg works with 5,000 businesses in 16 Business Improvement Zones. These zones create distinct shopping destinations, promote business attraction, provide street-level beautification, and improve marketing opportunities for BIZ members.

Directory, bylaws & map


Business Improvement Zone Procedures By-law 8111/2002 establishes policies and procedures of Business Improvements Zones in Winnipeg.

Business Improvement Zones map


Funding comes from a special addition to the business tax called a BIZ Levy. The levy is determined by each Business Improvement Zone's membership. Each BIZ votes on an annual budget that is submitted to City Council. The BIZ Levy is calculated based on the Business Improvement Zone's annual budget. The City then collects the levy through the business tax bill and transfers the funds to each BIZ.

How to calculate a BIZ levy payment

How business taxes are calculated

Operational templates

AGM preparation & check list

This document guides Business Improvement Zones in fulfilling their obligations required under Sections 15(1) and 21(1) of the City of Winnipeg Business Improvement Procedures By-law 8111/2002.

AGM preparation & check list

Budget template

This document helps Business Improvement Zones submit their annual budget requests to the City Clerk’s Department after being approved at an annual general meeting. City Council may review each presented budget in the same standard submission format.

Business Improvement Zone budget

Board nomination form

This document incorporates requirements from the Business Improvement Zone Procedures By-law  8111/2002 that states an individual may stand as a candidate for election to the board; has been nominated in writing by at least 10 different member businesses; and has declared in writing that they will serve on the board if elected.

Board nomination form template

Insurance forms

Business Improvement Zones operate at arm’s length from the City of Winnipeg. The City’s core insurance program is extended to Business Improvement Zones for perceived cost benefit only and subject to annual offer and acceptance by City insurers. The City provides property, equipment breakdown and liability insurance through our core insurance program. This arrangement is subject to full disclosure and reporting of any incidents to both City insurance and the City’s Legal Services department. To be considered for insurance coverage, each BIZ is required to annually disclose its operations, programming and inventory to the City.

  1. Insurance claim form
    Submit this claim form when there is damage, theft or loss to a Business Improvement Zone property. The BIZ is required to notify the City of Winnipeg Claims Branch within 24 hours of an incident, followed by submitting a claim form within seven days of an incident.
  2. Incident reporting form
    Business Improvement Zones are required to submit the incident reporting form if a BIZ employee causes damage or injury to others.
  3. Waiver of liability and assumption of risk agreement form
    This form is required if a Business Improvement Zone is using volunteers to help with an event, program or project, or for a vendor or small contractor providing service (if they do not have a certificate of insurance).
Mayor's Business Improvement Zone Awards

The Mayor's Business Improvement Zone Awards recognize those who have made significant contributions to promote economic development in their local Business Improvement Zone and make Winnipeg's neighbourhoods and our city a better place to live, work and do business.

Awards are presented for significant contributions in one or more of the following categories: community program delivery, place making (beautification and streetscape enhancements), special events, marketing, promotion, and safety initiatives.

The next call for BIZ Award nominations has not been determined.


Martin Pasieczka, BIZ Liaison:

BIZ banner

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.