Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Transit bus delays and cancellations possible beginning Monday, Nov 27. Check your bus schedule online before heading out.

Transit bus delays and cancellations possible beginning Monday, Nov 27. Check your bus schedule online before heading out.

Planning, Property & Development

Sale of public rights-of-way

Before the City of Winnipeg can sell a portion of a public street, lane, or walkway, it must first legally remove its designation as a public right-of-way. This procedure is referred to as "closing" the right-of-way.

The following is a brief description of the procedure.

  • The first step in the process is collection from the applicant of a non-refundable fee and supporting documentation. The proposal to close will be circulated for consideration by all affected City departments and public utilities. The circulation will identify any objections to the closing and any conditions to be attached to the sale of the land (i.e. requirements for the maintenance or relocation of existing services in the right-of-way, possible additional applications required to ensure the land is consolidated with adjoining non-City owned property).
  • A report is then submitted to the area Community Committee or, in the case of lands in the downtown area, the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, Heritage and Downtown Development. This report outlines the position of the City administration on this application. Notices are posted in the neighborhood announcing the date and location of the Committee meeting two weeks prior to the meeting. The comments and concerns of the City administration and of the neighbourhood residents are addressed at the meeting.
  • The Committee's recommendation is forwarded to the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development Heritage and Downtown Development. The Committee on Property and Development will consider the recommendation and make its recommendation to Council. If Council approves the closing, the Real Estate Branch of the Planning, Property and Development Department will initiate negotiations regarding the terms and conditions of the sale of the land. 
  • Upon completion of negotiations, the terms and conditions agreed to are submitted to either the Committee on Property and Development or the Committee's Delegated Authority for approval. Following this approval, a By-law to legally close the right-of-way will be prepared for passage by City Council.
  • Upon registration of the By-law in the Winnipeg Land Titles Office, the right-of-way becomes legally closed and title to the property will be transferred to the applicant.
  • The purchaser of the property assumes the responsibility for the preparation of the legal documents required to effect the closing of the right-of-way and its transfer. These documents will include a plan prepared by a Manitoba Land Surveyor delineating the boundaries of the closed right-of-way and may include a second plan delineating the boundaries of any portions of the land affected by easements, should any be required.

Contact the Real Estate Branch

Real Estate Branch
2nd Floor - 65 Garry St.
Winnipeg, MB R3C 4K4

Last update: March 15, 2022

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.