Hockey rink off-leash dog areas

As the demand for off-leash areas in the city grows, many community centres are considering turning their outdoor rinks into dog parks during the non-winter months.

The City has worked with the General Council of Winnipeg Community Centres to develop a process that allows individual centres' boards to request such a designation easily and expediently.

One of two things starts the process:

  • A resident submits to their community centre board a request to convert their community centre's ice rink to a temporary, seasonal off-leash area; or
  • A community centre board initiates the conversion in and of their own accord.

The following steps then occur:

  1. The board discusses and votes on the request and - if approved - submits a written request to the City of Winnipeg's Manager of Parks and Open Space.
  2. The appropriate park superintendent provides an outline of maintenance responsibilities to the board. In all cases, the City is responsible to provide signage for the off-leash area.
  3. If the board is agreeable to the maintenance terms, the City CAO (or designate) either approves or denies the request.
  4. If approved, the site is added to the City's website and is available annually for public use until such a time as the community centre terminates their agreement.

For more information, contact 311.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.