Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Allotment gardens FAQ

When will agreements be issued and can I make payments immediately?

Permits will be issued to return renters the end of January. Payments will not be accepted prior to the issuing of permits.

Can I rent more than one plot?

Given the limited number of available plots, returning and new renters will only be eligible to sign up for one plot. If there are still plots available after April 15, renters may apply for additional plots at that time.

Can I change to another plot?

Return renters requesting to change to another plot will be considered after March 31 once allocation to last year's permit holders is complete.

Will the plots be properly marked and if I have problems determining my assigned plot what steps do I take?

Parks and Open Space Division of the Public Works Department is responsible for the division and marking of multi-lot sites. Every attempt will be made to ensure that sites are properly marked so as to avoid confusion with the users. Should there be problems in this regard refer to the contact person noted on the permit.

I have had or presently having problems with the plot beside me. This plot is overgrown with weeds and they are creeping onto my plot, what should I do?

Should there be problems in this regard refer to the contact person noted on the permit. No refunds will be issued in these situations.

What sort of condition will the garden plot be in when I rent it?

Garden plots are assigned as either unserviced plots or serviced plots. Unserviced plots means that these areas are allocated 'as is' therefore no maintenance (i.e. tilling) is performed on these sites. Serviced lots refer to areas that will be rototilled in early spring by the Parks and Open Space Division.

Does the city do soil testing on garden plots?

Testing soil at all plots throughout the city is a cost prohibitive practice. Gardeners are permitted to carry out testing at their own expense. For information on local labs and testing procedures please refer to the contact person noted on the permit.

How can I get free compost for my allotment plot?

While the City’s annual compost giveaway has been delayed, we will be making compost available at certain allotment gardens and designated pick-up locations at a later date. More details will be provided to allotment gardeners as compost becomes available.

Where do I get water from to water my garden once it is planted?

For allotment gardens, water does need to be brought to site by users. See site descriptions for options available at each location.

Am I allowed to spray pest control products on my plot?

Environmental acts prohibits the use of pesticides on public land unless under a permit issued for the purpose from the governing body. Any person using pesticides must use them in accordance with the regulations set out in the Pest Control Products Act.

For information on alternative control methods please refer to the contact noted on the garden use permit.

Can I sell vegetables I harvest from my garden plot?

Garden plot rentals are not intended to be for profit ventures. Many gardeners choose to donate excess produce to local food banks or community kitchens. This practice is greatly encouraged and is sited as a primary benefit of the garden rental program.

Last update: October 20, 2021
Error processing SSI file

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.