Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Weed Control

Integrated Pest Management (IPM)

Should you have a weed concern please contact 311

Homeowner responsibilities for weed control

  • Boulevards maintained by homeowner / occupant;
  • Yards maintained by homeowner / occupant.

City maintenance responsibilities for weed control on boulevards

  • Boulevards beside a Regional (P1) street - Address Lookup Tool;
  • Boulevards flanking properties beside a regional street;
  • Ditches where grass has never been planted;
  • Boulevards at the rear of a property;
  • Extended boulevards - meaning a boulevard that is at least 20 feet wide as measured from the roadway to the sidewalk or property line.

The primary services of IPM are to effectively and efficiently:

  • Provide a mowing program for minimizing weed seed production on vacant undeveloped property;
  • Provide a herbicide treatment program for controlling weeds in parks, boulevards and other green space;
  • Provide support services (mowing of private properties) to the Community By-law Enforcement Services;
  • Liaise with 311 to provide service request information.

The City's weed control program changed in 2015 when new provincial legislation was introduced (Non-Essential Pesticide Use Regulation under the Environment Act) which restricts traditional pesticide use on lawns. As a result, the City could no longer use certain pesticides on grassed boulevards, parks and athletic fields. Instead, the City mows dandelions at these locations.

Organic lawn care

For more information on how you can reduce weeds by keeping a healthy lawn please check out the City of Winnipeg's Organic Lawn Care site.

Herbicide Treatment Buffer Zone

Individuals opposed to the use of herbicides can register for a Herbicide Treatment Buffer Zone. Requests are to be submitted in writing to:

Parks and Open Space Division
Integrated Pest Management Services
105 - 1155 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P1

Last update: November 2, 2022
Public Works Department
General Office Hours
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday to Friday
1155 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3E 3P1
Phone, Fax, Email: 311
Current News

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.