Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Contractor questions

How do I pre-qualify to do this type of work?

In order to pre-qualify for pruning and removal work with the City of Winnipeg, a number of credentials are needed. In summary, tree pruning and removal contractors require:

  • Appropriate Insurance (as attached)
  • Coverage by Worker's Compensation
  • Staff with Manitoba Arborist Licenses
  • Evidence of a Safety and Health Program

On the other hand, tree planting and stump removal contractors require:

  • Appropriate Insurance (as attached)
  • Coverage by Worker's Compensation
  • Evidence of a Safety and Health Program

Each of these requirements is discussed in further detail below:

1. Insurance Requirements

Please see the attached document entitled, "Insurance Requirements for Contractors to Perform Arboricultural Services on Trees Under the Control of the Urban Forestry Branch".

2. Worker's Compensation Letter

A letter is required stating that your company is in good standing with the Worker's Compensation Board. This letter must be sent to us annually, and if the status changes, you must inform us immediately.

3. Manitoba Arborist License

Each of your company's staff that are pruning or removing city-owned trees must possess a valid Manitoba Arborist License. Please FAX copies of the wallet sized license cards to the Urban Forestry Branch at 204-222-2839.
They can also be mailed to:

Urban Forestry Branch
City of Winnipeg
1539 Waverley St.
Winnipeg, MB
R3T 4V7

Changes in the status of your staff carrying Manitoba Arborist Licenses must be reported to us immediately.

4. Evidence of a Safety and Health Program

Your company or related sub-contractors shall provide evidence of an acceptable safety and health program based on a COR designation or the report of an independent consultant (for an approved consultant list please see the Information Connection at the City of Winnipeg, Corporate Finances, Purchasing Division internet site at: // or call 311 and a copy of this information can be mailed out to you.

Urban Forestry Branch:
1539 Waverley Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 4V7
Telephone: 311 | Fax: 204.222.2839

Last update: February 27, 2020
Public Works Department
General Office Hours
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday to Friday
1155 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3E 3P1
Phone, Fax, Email: 311
Current News

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.