Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Citizens Information Service
Public Works


A Sharrow is a lane – identified by arrows and a bike symbol – designated to be shared by cyclists and vehicles (hence the name "Sharrow").

It is important to recognize that motorists may not always be comfortable passing a cyclist within the same lane on a Sharrow route. Drivers of larger vehicles such as buses and trucks may feel the need to encroach into the adjacent lane when passing a cyclist.

If parking or loading is permitted on a roadway marked with Sharrow symbols, vehicles are permitted to park over top the Sharrow area and cyclists are expected to move to the left side of the curb lane to pass the parked vehicle while staying outside of the "door zone." The "door zone" is the area to the left of a parked vehicle where a cyclist could be contacted by an opening door.

Cyclists can legally travel on all City roadways unless otherwise indicated by signs. The Highway Traffic Act states that a cyclist is to ride as far to the right of the lane as is practicable. The correct road position for a cyclist varies with traffic volume and speed, conditions and width of road, weather and cyclist’s skill level. Cyclists should ride far enough out from the curb to maintain a straight line of travel and avoid any hazards that might exist in the gutter.

The Sharrow pavement marking is intended to generally indicate the appropriate place for the cyclists to position themselves within the lane. When the Sharrow pavement marking is near the right edge of the lane cyclist and vehicles should share the roadway side by side.

Last update: April 2, 2019
Watch for this Sign:
Sharrow Sign

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.