Graffiti control by-law FAQ
The following information provides responses to frequently asked questions from retailers.
As a retailer, what am I required to do?
- Post the required sign notifying the public about the graffiti control by-law near where spray paint is sold.
- Restrict sale of spray paint to persons 18 years of age and older.
- Store spray paint and related materials in a secure storage space that is locked or otherwise inaccessible to the public.
Where can retailers get the sign that needs to be posted near where spray paint is sold?
Are retailers required to check ID when selling spray paint?
Yes, retailers must ensure they are not selling spray paint to minors.
What are the requirements for a secure storage space for spray paint?
- Requirements may vary from store to store.
- The City can provide retailers with pictures that contain examples suitable secure storage spaces.
- Retailers are permitted to develop alternate storage spaces that are locked or that otherwise effectively restrict public access to these areas.
How will retailers know if their lockup is acceptable?
If an individual can access spray paint without assistance from a retailer or clerk, the storage space is not considered secure.
Last update: August 28, 2020