Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Citizens Information Service
Public Works

Graffiti control by-law

Stop Graffiti - Click here to download the English PDFOn November 21, 2007, City Council passed By-Law # 204/2007.

This By-Law:

  • Prohibits the sale of spray paint to persons under 18 years of age and requires retailers to post signs notifying the public of this restriction.
  • Requires retailers to store spray paint in a secure storage space that is locked or otherwise inaccessible to the public.

The City of Winnipeg is providing you with this information as part of an education campaign to better inform retailers, who may sell spray paint, and the general public of the requirements of the Graffiti Control By-Law. Active enforcement of the By-Law began on June 15, 2008.

View and print the required sign English | français as approved by the Director of Public Works. These signs must be conspicuously posted and visible to the public near where spray paint is sold.

As a reference, here is an example of secure / locked or otherwise inaccessible storage areas. Secure /locked or otherwise inaccessible storage areas may not be limited to examples shown and retailers may determine other secure storage configurations acceptable to the City of Winnipeg.

Section 178(1) of The City of Winnipeg Charter provides that, unless a By-Law provides otherwise, the maximum penalty for a violation of a By-Law is $1000 for an individual and $5000 for a corporation.

If you have any questions regarding the requirements of this By-Law please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions page or call 311.

Related Documents:

Last update: May 14, 2019

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.