Thanksgiving – Monday, October 9. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services.
Illegal temporary advertising signs on streets
Temporary signs on City streets are regulated under Part 4 of the Neighbourhood Liveability By-Law 1/2008 (NLB). While respecting individuals' right to freedom of expression, the NLB attempts to regulate temporary signs on streets to prevent safety hazards, urban blight, and property damage.
Temporary signs on streets:
- can pose a safety risk. In many cases, the physical act of placing temporary signs on streets can put at risk the safety of individuals who post and/or remove the signs. This is especially the case on high-speed, high volume traffic routes.
- can also be a traffic hazard inasmuch as they can obscure sight lines for drivers and pedestrians and distract the attention of motorists. Inadequately secured signs can be blown into the flow of traffic, causing traffic accidents and damage to vehicles.
- can be a source of visual pollution.
Neighbourhood Liveability By-Law Part 4 Temporary Signs on Streets:
- prohibits any temporary sign located within a street median or traffic island.
- prohibits any temporary signs on the streets identified in Schedule A of the By-Law (streets include medians, boulevards, roadways, traffic islands at yields, etc.). Out of roughly 3,800 streets in the City, 30 regional streets or portions of regional streets have been included on the basis of the speed and volume of traffic as well as the importance of the street to the image of the City. In limited locations, temporary signs may be placed on all other streets, subject to requirements that deal with distances to intersections, turning lanes, curbs, sidewalks, and private accesses; sign construction; mobility; etc.
- requires that temporary signs must contain the name and telephone number of the person placing the sign as well as the date it was placed. They must be removed 14 days after they are placed or the day after the event being advertised, whichever is sooner.
- states that any temporary sign that violates these rules may be removed immediately by the City and destroyed. Individuals and companies who post illegal signs may also be subject to tickets.
Following is a list of regional streets or portions of regional streets where temporary signs are prohibited, as well as the requirements for placing temporary signs on all other streets:
According to Schedule A of the By-Law, no signs shall be placed on:
|Bishop Grandin Boulevard||Between Kenaston Boulevard and Lagimodière Boulevard|
|Bison Drive||Between Waverley Street and Pembina Highway|
|Brookside Boulevard||Entire length|
|Oak Point Highway||Entire length|
|King Edward Street||Entire length|
|Century Street||Entire length|
|St. James Bridge||Entire length|
|Kenaston Boulevard (ROUTE 90)||Between Inkster Boulevard and Bishop Grandin Boulevard|
|Chief Peguis Trail||Between Main Street and Lagimodière Boulevard|
|Donald Street & Midtown Bridge||Between Red River and Osborne Street|
|Dunkirk Drive & St. Vital Bridge||Between Red River and Fermor Avenue|
|Fermor Avenue||Between Dunkirk Drive and Plessis Road|
|Henderson Highway||Between Red River and Glenway Avenue|
|Lagimodière Boulevard||Between Prairie Grove Road and North City Limit|
|Moray Street||Between the north bank of the Assiniboine River and Portage Avenue|
|Osborne Street & Osborne Bridge||Between Assiniboine River and St. Vital Bridge|
|Pembina Highway||Between Osborne Street and South City Limit|
|Portage Avenue||Between Spence Street and St. Charles Street|
|St. James Street||Between Portage Avenue and Wellington Avenue|
|Waverley Street||Between Taylor Avenue and Bison Drive|
|Wellington Avenue||Between James A. Richardson International Airport and St. James Street|
|Grant Avenue||Between Shaftesbury Boulevard and Roblin Boulevard|
|Main Street||Between Logan Avenue and North City Limit|
|St. Anne's Road||Between Fermor Avenue and St. Mary’s Road|
|St. Mary's Road||Between St. Anne's Road and Queen Elizabeth Way|
|Corydon Avenue/ Roblin Boulevard||Between Shaftesbury Boulevard and West City Limit|
|boulevard Provencher||Entire length|
|William R. Clement Parkway||Entire length|
|Wilkes Avenue||From PTH 100 to Shaftesbury Boulevard|
|Sterling Lyon Parkway||From Shaftesbury Boulevard to Victor Lewis Drive|
For all other streets not identified in Schedule A, temporary signs must not be:
- within 30 metres of an intersection
- within 30 metres of a turning lane, deceleration or acceleration lane or traffic storage lane
- within 2 metres of a curb or the edge of a roadway
- within 0.5 metres of a sidewalk
- within 5.0 metres of a private access
- permanently affixed
- supported by string, rope, wire or metal stakes
- greater than 0.6 metres in size
- higher than 1 metre
- more than 2 faces per sign
- illuminated, electrified, spinning, or rotating