Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Citizens Information Service
Public Works

Speed limit setting

Authority for setting speed limits on Winnipeg streets recently transferred to the City from the former Highway Traffic Board of Manitoba as part of Bill 14: The Traffic and Transportation Modernization Act (TTMA).

With the TTMA's passing, the City can set speed limits and also change the default speed limit of 50 km/h (30 km/h in back lanes) within the following parameters:

  1. Speed limits must be fixed in increments of 10 km/h.
  2. Speed limits cannot be less than 20 km/h.
  3. Speed limits set at less than 50 km/h must be signed at the point where the speed limit begins and after each intersection with a roadway other than a back lane, as close as practicable to that intersection.

The City is currently developing a process to field speed limit change requests, but has not changed the criteria by which it will recommend for or against a speed limit change:

  • When a speed limit change on a City street has been requested or a newly constructed street requires its speed limit to be set, the Public Works Department conducts a speed study and other traffic analysis provides an evaluation and accompanying recommendation to the Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works.

  • Recommended speed limits are based on the measured 85th percentile speed of traffic on the street (the speed at or below which 85% of motorists operate their vehicle, provided that the collision rate is within acceptable limits).

Residents can continue to contact 311 with any concerns regarding speed, and can also initiate a review request through their City Councillor.  

Last update: January 30, 2019

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.