Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Citizens Information Service
Public Works

Waze Tips

get the best route

You can just drive with Waze and get access to all the great traffic information, or you can really become a part of the community…it's up to you! The following will show you some of the features more in depth, as well as tips and hints to help you.

Anything you can think of can be reported. The screenshot to the right shows the options available to report and receive reports on.

Traffic Jam reporting

get the best route

Traffic Jam reporting in Waze has helped the TMC catch traffic signal malfunctions and collisions which we were then able to quickly address.

The Traffic Jam report is the most actively used and also the most actively abused report. If your vehicle is at a red light with three cars in front of you, reporting a Standstill Traffic Jam is not going to turn the light green!

Reporting a crash

get the best route

Reporting a crash is easy. Think of the report in terms of impact to road safety. Knowing when to report major vs minor will help TMC operators, and other drivers will get an idea of what the road conditions will really be like.

Minor: A fender bender, one lane blocked etc.

Major: Severe damage, all lanes or all one direction blocked.

Reporting a hazard

get the best route

Hazard reporting is a little more layered and may take some getting used to. There is a cheat option: just report a hazard!

False Reporting

False reporting makes everyone's drive worse – including your own. You will lose points in Waze and provide false information to other drivers. It also takes the time of a TMC operator, who has to process the false report. We do not quantify what is light and heavy traffic; it is up to the Wazer to report accurately based on what is happening.

Last update: February 15, 2023

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.