Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Water conservation

Water leaks can waste water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and cost you hundreds of dollars each year.

Here are some simple ways to check for household water leaks
  1. Check for leaks by reading your water meter regularly.

    Note: The water meter can be your leak detector

  2. The majority of leaks occur in the bathroom and the main culprit is the toilet. Sometimes you may be able to hear a toilet leaking, but, most often, toilet leaks are silent.

Worn out toilet flapper valve

This is an easy, inexpensive fix that is available from your local plumbing retailer.

Dripping faucets

This is sometimes as simple as tightening the faucet taps. If the taps are still dripping you may need to replace some parts inside, usually referred to as washers or cartridges depending on the model. These easy to install devices are available from your local plumbing retailer.

Note: If you have any difficulty, we recommend you contact a plumber.

Fix those leaks immediately

Water leaks can waste water every day. In many cases, fixture replacement parts are inexpensive, pay for themselves quickly, and can be installed by yourself or plumbing professionals.

Every drop counts!

It is important to check for leaks at least once every three months. Since you receive a utility bill every three months, use your bill as a reminder to check for leaks.

One of the best ways to keep track of your water use is to read your water meter regularly.

Other water saving tips
  • As appliances and fixtures wear out, replace them with Energy Star and WaterSense labelled products.
  • Replace an old water-guzzling toilet with a WaterSense labelled toilet that uses 20 percent less water than a conventional six-litre toilet. Before you replace an existing toilet, we encourage you to:
For more information
Last updated: September 20, 2023

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.