Fix a leak week is March 14 to 20, 2022. Residents are encouraged to check and fix household water leaks.
Water leaks can waste water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and cost you hundreds of dollars each year.
Here are some simple ways to check for household water leaks
- Check for leaks by reading your water meter regularly.
Note: The water meter can be your leak detector
- The majority of leaks occur in the bathroom and the main culprit is the toilet. Sometimes you may be able to hear a toilet leaking, but, most often, toilet leaks are silent.
Worn out toilet flapper valve
This is an easy, inexpensive fix that is available from your local plumbing retailer.
This is sometimes as simple as tightening the faucet taps. If the taps are still dripping you may need to replace some parts inside, usually referred to as washers or cartridges depending on the model. These easy to install devices are available from your local plumbing retailer.
Note: If you have any difficulty, we recommend you contact a plumber.
Fix those leaks immediately
Water leaks can waste water every day. In many cases, fixture replacement parts are inexpensive, pay for themselves quickly, and can be installed by yourself or plumbing professionals.
Every drop counts!
It is important to check for leaks at least once every three months. Since you receive a utility bill every three months, use your bill as a reminder to check for leaks.
One of the best ways to keep track of your water use is to read your water meter regularly.
Other water saving tips
- As appliances and fixtures wear out, replace them with Energy Star and WaterSense labelled products.
- Replace an old water-guzzling toilet with a WaterSense labelled toilet that uses 20 percent less water than a conventional six-litre toilet. Before you replace an existing toilet, we encourage you to:
- calculate the payback period for purchasing a new WaterSense labelled toilet
For more information
- Leak Detector Challenge for Winnipeg Families
- email us. Include your contact information (e.g., telephone number, address) in the body of your message. You can expect a reply from us within two business days.
- contact 311