Frozen pipe statistics

    Should I be running my water to prevent a frozen pipe?

    Unless the City advises you to run your water to prevent the water pipe from freezing, you should not be running your water continuously.

Date Location of frozen water infrastructure Maximum frost
depth 3
Average response time - City forces 4
of the pipe
plumbing 1
Other 2
As of
Feb 3
4 7 52 0 - Same day
As of
Jan 27
1 4 28 0 - Same day
As of
Jan 20
1 4 28 0 - Same day
As of
Jan 13
1 3 28 0 - Same day
As of
Jan 6
1 3 27 0 - Same day
As of
Dec 30
1 3 27 0 - Same day
As of
Dec 23
1 2 23 0 - Same day
As of
Dec 16
1 2 17 0 - Same day
As of
Dec 9
0 2 17 0 - Same day

Report date: February 3, 2023

1 Full details on measures that residents can take to prevent internal plumbing from freezing are at Preventing Frozen Water Pipes

2 There may be some properties where it is difficult to determine the exact location of the freeze/cause of no water, the cause is under investigation, or the cause was atypical (e.g., an exposed portion of the pipe during an excavation).

3 This number is determined based on the best available information (e.g., water and sewer excavations). Frost depth is highly variable across the city, often differing from street to street. Some of the factors known to affect frost penetration are snow depth and density, ground cover (e.g., vegetation, concrete), proximity of adjacent infrastructure (e.g., catch basin), atmospheric pressure, exposure to sunshine, initial soil temperature, moisture content of the soil, soil type, and organic matter contained in the soil.

4 For assistance with thawing frozen internal plumbing, property owners must contact a plumber. City thawing service is not available.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.