Wildland fires

Grass fire burning along a body of water
Grass fire burning along a body of water

Wildland fires can quickly spread consuming grass, brush and forested areas while, threatening residential yards, homes and other structures.

If you live in or beside areas at risk of wildland fires, there are steps you can take to protect your yard and home through proper landscaping and vegetation management. Homeowners should follow these tips, concentrating on the first 10 meters surrounding their homes:

  • Thin and prune vegetation, cleaning up brush, leaves, grass and debris.
  • Plant fire-resistant plants and shrubs. Avoid combustible plants and trees (such as cedar and pine) that accumulate dry dead material or have papery bark.
  • Water plants and vegetation in the area surrounding your home, particularly during dry conditions.
  • Store firewood at least 10 meters away from structures.
  • Position your approved fire pits/receptacles in an open area away from overhanging trees and 10 feet away from combustible materials.

Preventing wildland, grass and brush fires

  • Do not dispose of cigarette butts in any sort of vegetation (including grass), in planter pots, or from vehicle windows.
  • Do not burn yard waste, garbage, or scrap material on your property. Doing so within City limits is prohibited and can result in a fine.
  • Only burn clean, dry, untreated wood in residential fire pits.
  • Only use Neighbourhood Liveability By-Law compliant outdoor fire receptacles such as fire pits, fire places and outdoor BBQs. Fire pits must be enclosed on all sides and have a spark arrestor.
  • Always have a means to extinguish the fire readily available.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.