Fire bans

When the weather is dry and winds are high, outdoor fires can quickly become dangerous, as fires can very quickly spread to nearby structures or property. To protect residents and properties from fire, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service may issue an open-air fire ban, which bans all outdoor fires under the Neighbourhood Liveability By-Law. Fire bans will last for 48 hours unless an extension is announced.

Activities not permitted

When a fire ban is in place, the following activities are not permitted, and violations are subject to a $500 fine:

  • Open fires: existing permits will be suspended and no new permits will be issued for fires during a fire ban.
  • Backyard fire pits
  • Fireworks: existing permits will be suspended and no new permits will be issued for consumer (low hazard) fireworks or high hazard fireworks during a fire ban.
  • Fire pits in City parks
  • Solid fuel-burning appliances, including charcoal and wood-burning barbecues.

Activities permitted

During a fire ban, the following activities are permitted. Residents should use caution at all times.

  • Use of backyard barbecues, fire tables and household smokers fueled by propane or natural gas, as they are contained and do not emit sparks or embers.

Call 911 if you see a fire

Report restricted activities during a fire ban

To help protect Winnipeggers from fire, residents are encouraged to contact 311 to report fire ban violations.

Open-air fire permits

The following activities require permits for use at any time:

To obtain a permit, email or call 204-986-8200. Find more information about open air fire permits at Permits.

Provincial fire bans and restrictions

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.