Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Fraud & Waste Hotline
Report an Incident Online or Phone: 1‑866‑840‑5837

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

What is the Fraud and Waste Hotline?

The City of Winnipeg's Fraud & Waste Hotline provides 24/7, phone and online reporting for alleged incidents of wrongdoing by City employees or others doing business with the City.

Report an Incident Online or Phone: 1-866-840-5837

Why does The City of Winnipeg need a Fraud and Waste Hotline?

The City is committed to protecting its assets, property and funds from any acts of alleged acts of wrongdoing by employees or others doing business with the City. This is a proactive effort to ensure and demonstrate our commitment to corporate accountability, transparency, responsibility, and ethical operating practices. It supports a high level of integrity of our employees in the workplace and protects City property, resources and information. The Hotline was established to demonstrate the City’s commitment to ensure that resources are used wisely and in an ethical manner.

Who can use the Hotline?

Anyone can make a report - reports should be made in good faith and should be about a specific incident and should, whenever possible, include who, what, when and where.

How is the Hotline independent?

The Hotline is an independent channel operated through a third party vendor directly to the Audit Department. This ensures all concerns are objectively investigated and resolved without fear of reprisal or management intervention. The Audit Department operates at arms-length from the Public Service and reports direct to Council through the Audit Committee (EPC).

Can I make an anonymous report?

Yes, reports can be made anonymously. Please remember that reports should be about a specific incident and must, whenever possible, include who, what, when and where. The Audit Department can only act on reports if sufficient information is provided to carry out an investigation. Reports should be made in good faith. Follow up using the tracking number and password that you were given. You may be presented with additional questions regarding your report online.

Report an Incident Online or Phone: 1-866-840-5837

What information should I include in my report?

Please provide as much information as possible including:

  • Who, What, Where, When
  • Names, dates, times and places
  • Location of evidence (physical evidence or records)
  • Names and contact information of witnesses
What will happen to my report?

A preliminary assessment will be made by the City Auditor or designate of all reports that are received. An appropriate, objective and impartial investigation will be held regardless of the alleged wrongdoer’s position in, or, relationship to the City. When a report is made a tracking number and password is assigned.

  • If there is enough information to proceed an investigation will be done.
  • For anonymous reports: if there is not enough information to proceed with an investigation, the Audit Department will contact the reporter via their assigned tracking number with additional questions. If there is no response to the Audit Departments questions, the report will close in 30 days.
  • When contact information for the reporter is provided, the Audit Department may contact the reporter directly.

The investigation will either substantiate the allegation, in whole or in part, or conclude that the allegation cannot be substantiated.

Can I track my report?

When a report is made a tracking number and password is assigned. This enables the reporter to follow the progress of the report and respond to questions from the Audit Department. It also enables the reporter to know how the report was resolved.

How many reports are completed annually?

The Fraud and Waste Hotline statistics are stated in the Audit Department Annual Report.


Last update: June 5, 2019

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.