Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Winnipeg Police Board
Winnipeg Police Board

Feedback and Complaints

The Winnipeg Police Board acts as a liaison between the community and the Winnipeg Police Service. We are committed to ensuring police services in Winnipeg are delivered in accordance with public needs, values and expectations and we always welcome feedback.

If you have questions, comments, ideas or concerns about public safety, law enforcement or crime prevention in Winnipeg, this section lets you know how you can get in touch with us. We have also provided information on other organizations that investigate complaints about the Winnipeg Police Service to provide information on where the mandate of the Winnipeg Police Board ends and where other organizations step in.

Have feedback?

You can share feedback with the Board at any time by sending us an . If you would like to make a presentation to the Board at one of its regular public meetings, you can ask our Secretary to the Board for more information on how to do this. You can also attend one of our annual community consultation meetings. These meetings are an excellent opportunity to ask questions of Board members, tell the Board what your priorities and concerns for public safety are, and learn more about the Board’s activities. For more information on upcoming consultation meetings, visit our public consultations page.

Have a complaint?

The Winnipeg Police Board is one of several organizations that monitors the performance of the Winnipeg Police Service to ensure it operates in the best interest of the public. While all of the organizations mentioned below share this broad goal, they have different mandates.

  • The Winnipeg Police Service
    The Winnipeg Police Service encourages citizens with compliments and complaints to notify the Service. The Service takes complaints seriously and has a Professional Standards Unit that investigates complaints. If an investigation reveals an officer has breached any rules governing conduct, a disciplinary process will follow. Complaints can be made in person at any City of Winnipeg Police Service Centre, in writing to the Chief of Police at P.O. Box 1680 Winnipeg MB R3C 2Z7, or by contacting the Professional Standards Unit at 204-986-6079.
  • The Law Enforcement Review Agency
    The Law Enforcement Review Agency (LERA) is an independent, non-police agency mandated under The Law Enforcement Review Act (the Act) to investigate public complaints of police misconduct as defined under the Act. LERA does not investigate criminal or service issues. The Winnipeg Police Service is one of the municipal police services that falls within the scope of LERA’s mandate (unlike the RCMP, which has its own Public Complaints Commission). More information about LERA and its complaints process can be found on its website:
  • The Independent Investigations Unit
    The Independent Investigations Unit (IIU) is, like LERA, an independent provincial body. It receives its mandate from the Police Services Act, the same legislation that outlines the responsibilities of police boards. The IIU investigates cases where an operation of the Winnipeg Police Service results in the death or serious injury of a civilian, or other serious cases. Police services are obligated to report these cases to the IIU so that it may launch an investigation. More information about the IIU can be found on its website:
  • The Winnipeg Police Board
    The Board is responsible for police governance, meaning it gives high-level direction to the Chief of the Winnipeg Police Service and holds him or her responsible for ensuring the Service has policies, processes, structures and relationships in place in order to deliver adequate and effective police services. If you have a comment or concern about the overall effectiveness of the Winnipeg Police Service, any of its policies, or the Chief of Police, you can contact the Winnipeg Police Board by

Last update: April 18, 2019

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.