Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Winnipeg Police Board
Winnipeg Police Board

About the Winnipeg Police Board

The Winnipeg Police Board exists to improve transparency and accountability in policing. It receives its authority from Manitoba’s Police Services Act (2009) and a City of Winnipeg by-law (148/2012).

The Board is composed of a minimum of seven and a maximum of nine civilian members, including the Chair and Vice Chair of the Board. A minimum of five and a maximum of seven members of the Board are appointed by Winnipeg City Council and two are appointed by the Province of Manitoba. Currently, the Board’s members are:

  • Mayor Scott Gillingham
  • Councillor Markus Chambers – Chair
  • Colleen Mayer – Vice Chair
  • Damon Johnston – Appointed by the Province of Manitoba
  • Diane Redsky – Appointed by the Province of Manitoba
  • Daphne Penrose
  • Kevin Selch

Together, the Board members establish priorities and objectives for the Winnipeg Police Service and ensure policing in Winnipeg lives up to citizens’ needs and expectations.

What does the Winnipeg Police Board do?

  • Seeks community input on policing priorities and public safety issues
  • Uses community input to develop strategic plans and objectives for the Winnipeg Police Service
  • Ensures money in the police budget is spent according to public priorities
  • Improves connections between the community and the Winnipeg Police Service
  • Appoints the Chief of Police and evaluates his or her performance
  • Receives reports from the Winnipeg Police Service and makes them public
  • Meets in public to be open and accountable

Working Together

In order to do its job, the Board works closely with the Winnipeg Police Service and the City of Winnipeg. Manitoba’s Police Services Act gives each organization different powers and responsibilities, but they share a vision of creating a culture of safety for all of Winnipeg.

Winnipeg Police Board

  • Consults the community to establish policing priorities and values
  • Appoints and evaluates the Chief of Police
  • Establishes policies for the Winnipeg Police Service
  • Recommends and allocates the Police budget
  • Approves Police quarterly financial reports
  • Develops the strategic plan, priorities and objectives for the Winnipeg Police Service

Chief of the Winnipeg Police Service

  • Responsible for the enforcement of law, prevention of crime and preservation of public peace
  • Oversees management, administration and operation of the Police Service
  • Maintains discipline in the Police Service

City of Winnipeg Council

  • Establishes by-laws
  • Appoints members to the Police Board
  • Sets the total amount of the Winnipeg Police Service’s annual budget
  • Provides reasonable remuneration to Police Board members
  • Receives Police quarterly financial reports as information

City of Winnipeg

  • Is the employer of the Chief of Police and all members of the Winnipeg Police Service
  • Sets the pay and benefits for all members of the Police Service
  • Responsible for all legal contracts, including collective agreements
  • Responsible for capital assets
  • Establishes protocols for all City departments (respectful workplace, health and safety)

The following organizational chart shows that the Chief of the Winnipeg Police Service reports directly to the Winnipeg Police Board. Both the Board and the Chief of Police have working relationships with the City of Winnipeg. The Chief of Police has a working relationship with the City of Winnipeg in respect of administrative matters such as financial, human resource and asset management. 

You can find an organizational chart showing the internal divisions and units of the Winnipeg Police Service on the Winnipeg Police Service website.

Last update: July 22, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.