Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Animal Services
on Social Media

Animal Services Agency

Prevent a Litter (PAL) Program

The goal of the Prevent a Litter (PAL) Program is to expand access to spay/neuter and vaccinations for dogs owned by Winnipeggers living on low income. This program is primarily funded by donations.

Benefits of spaying/neutering

  • Helps control pet overpopulation
  • Reduce cancer risk
  • Reduces the urge to roam
  • Reduces aggression
  • Significantly reduces the cost of a pet license


  • $80 Dog spay/neuter- Includes vaccinations and complimentary 1 year pet license

Who qualifies?

You must be a City of Winnipeg resident and one of the following must apply:

  • You have a social assistance case number
  • You are a new permanent resident or refugee who has been in Canada for less than 18 months and have not filed a tax return
  • You have an economic family income below the low income cut-off (LICO) (amounts listed below):
Economic family size Total income
1 $29,380
2 $36,576
3 $44,966
4 $54,594
5 $61,920
6 $69,835
7 $77,751
More than 7 for each additional person, add $7,916

Note: Other considerations may be made for special circumstances.

(Sources: Statistics Canada and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada)

"Economic family” refers to a group of two or more persons who live in the same dwelling and are related to each other by blood, marriage, common-law union, adoption or a foster relationship.

How to apply

  1. Fill out the application form

    After you fill out the application form, please save it to your computer. The completed form can either be submitted by email or printed and submitted by mail or in person, as per the instructions below.

    You can also pick up an application form at the Animal Services Agency, 1057 Logan Avenue.

    If you cannot provide the required documentation for verification of economic need but do meet the criteria, and you have a relationship with a third-party organization that can verify your economic need, please use the Third-Party Referral application form.

  2. Provide verification of economic need

    Along with your application form, you will need to include a copy of one of the following:

    • Copy of social assistance budget letter
    • Copy of documentation showing your landing date in Canada and UCI number
    • Copy of most recent Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment identifying annual net income of all economic family members
    • Copy of monthly statement of income from CPP Disability (including the income verification of all economic family members)
  3. Submit your completed application form and verification of economic need

    • In Person: Animal Services Agency, 1057 Logan Avenue
    • Mail:
      Animal Services Agency
      1057 Logan Avenue
      Winnipeg, MB R3E 3N8
  4. Please note: the City of Winnipeg cannot guarantee the security of your personal information if you choose to submit by email.

What happens next?

The program coordinator will contact you regarding the outcome of your application. Please make sure you have provided a daytime phone number; we will call you if we have any questions.

What about cats?

Low-income spay/neuter programming for cats is available at the Winnipeg Humane Society and is partially funded by the City of Winnipeg:

  • SNAP Program: 204-888-SNAP
  • We are Here for the Animals Program: 204-421-7297

More information

For more information on the PAL Program, please contact 311 or email

Last update: May 2, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.