Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Animal Services
on Social Media

Animal Services Agency

FAQs about adopting a dog

Open all | Close all

What do you do with the stray dogs that come into the Animal Services Agency?
  • Every attempt is made to reunite stray dogs with their owners. When a dog is not claimed and it is deemed adoptable by the Animal Services Agency staff, it will enter the Dog Adoption Program.
What kinds of dogs do you have up for adoption?
Why should I adopt a pet?
After I've adopted my dog, can the original owner try and claim it?
  • A dog is fully adopted once all fees and paperwork have been completed and the dog has left Animal Services and is in your care and control.
  • If a former owner attends Animal Services after a dog has been fully adopted, we will call you up to one week after the adoption to see if you are willing to return the dog to the former owner. The decision is up to you, as you are the current legal owner and the dog is residing with you.
  • If you decide to return the dog, Animal Services will provide a refund or suggest another dog that may be suitable for adoption.
Does the Animal Services Agency have a "trial period" when adopting a dog?
  • All adopted dogs come with a 7 day home trial. If you return the dog within this time period, you will be refunded your adoption fee less the non-refundable deposit.
What happens if the dog needs veterinary care during the "trial period"?
  • When you take the dog out of the Animal Services Agency on a "home trial", the staff will explain the procedures that need to be followed should the dog require veterinary care during the trial period. You will be given a list of instructions and telephone numbers to call if necessary.
Can I return a dog after the adoption has been finalized?
  • No - after an adoption has been finalized, you become the legal owner of the dog and are responsible for its care.
Last update: December 14, 2020

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.