Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Animal Services
on Social Media

Animal Services Agency


The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law contains the regulations pertaining to cats.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

Why can't I let my cat run loose?
What does 'running at large' mean?
  • Running at large means that the cat is not:

    • on its owner's property;
    • on other property with the consent of the owner or occupant;
    • securely confined in a vehicle or other enclosure; or
    • securely leashed and in the custody of someone able to control it.
  • Letting your pet run loose puts them and the community in danger and contributes to the already explosive pet population in Winnipeg.
Is there a fine if my cat is found running at large?
Can I bring a stray cat to the Animal Services Agency building on Logan Avenue?
  • No - the Animal Services Agency does not have facilities for kennelling stray cats. Contact the Winnipeg Humane Society at 204-982-2025. The Humane Society requires that you call ahead to make an appointment to drop off a stray cat.
Can you stop my neighbour from feeding the stray cats?
  • No - there is no by-law against the feeding of stray cats.
What if I don't want to sterilize my cat?
  • If you do not wish to have your cat spayed or neutered, you must ensure that you have a valid unsterilized (intact) cat license for your cat. See Cat Licensing details.
My cat is an indoor cat. Why do I have to sterilize it?
  • The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law states that all cats over the age of six months must be sterilized, unless a valid license for an unsterilized cat has been issued for the cat.
I can't afford to get my cat fixed. What should I do?
  • Low income families living in Winnipeg can apply for the Winnipeg Humane Society's SNAP program to get their cat spayed or neutered. Call 204-888-SNAP (7627) to see if you qualify. You will be required to provide proof of household income (most current income tax information for all occupants) or proof of social assistance in order to participate in SNAP.
My cat is stuck in a tree. Can Animal Services come and get it down for me?
  • No, the Animal Services is not able to respond to calls to get cats out of trees.
Last update: June 11, 2021

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.