Instructor Guard Recruitment Program
The City of Winnipeg is offering a FREE 14-week certification program to become an Instructor Guard.
This program will provide the opportunity for 60 successful applicants to receive the six courses required to apply as an Instructor Guard with the City. All course materials will also be included free of charge.
The application deadline is December 5, 2022.
- Bronze Medallion
- Bronze Cross
- Standard First Aid & CPR C/AED
- Swim for Life Instructor
- National Lifeguard – Pool
- Lifesaving Instructor
- Applicants must be at least 16 years old by March 31, 2023
- Minimum Grade 10 education
- Ability to obtain a Police Information Check (Vulnerable Sector) acceptable to the City by December 31, 2022
- Ability to successfully demonstrate the items outlined in the swim assessment (approximately Red Cross Level 8 or Lifesaving Society Swimmer 6 swim ability)
- Applications will be reviewed and successful applicants will be invited to an in-person interview and swim assessment.
- Upon successful interview and swim assessment, you will have the opportunity to select your training schedule from the outlined options.
- Priority recruitment will be provided to those successful in all of the training.
- Upon successful completion of the interview and new hire training, you will be asked to work with the City for a minimum of one year.
Please note: minimum work requirements with the City are three shifts or nine hours per week.
- Thursday, December 8 from 4 – 9 p.m.
- Saturday, December 10 from 8 – 4 p.m.
- 50m Front Crawl (demonstrating correct technique)
- 50m Back Crawl (demonstrating correct technique)
- 50m Breast Stroke (demonstrating correct technique)
- 50m Elementary Back Stroke or Whip kick on back (demonstrating correct technique)
- One-minute treading water/surface support
- Ability to swim 400m in approximately 12 minutes
- Ability to recover an object from an 8ft depth
The training is divided into three parts to help with scheduling. You will be able to select (based on availability) the schedule that works best for you.
Training part 1
Part 1 of the training will take place weekdays over the holiday break (December 22 – January 3).
- Option 1: December 22, 23, 27, 28, 29, and 30 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and January 2 and 3 from 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Option 2: December 22, 23, 27, 28, 29, and 30 from 1 – 9 p.m. and January 2 and 3 from noon – 9 p.m.
Training part 2
Part 2 of the training will take place January to early March.
- Option 1: Sundays, January 8 – March 12 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Option 2: Saturdays, January 7 – March 11 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Option 3: Tuesday & Thursdays, January 10 – March 7 from 5 – 9 p.m.
Training part 3
Part 3 of the training will take place in March.
- Option 1: March 26, 28 and 30 from 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Option 2: March 27, 29, and 31 from 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Option 3*: March 9, 14,16, 21, and 23 from 4:30 – 9:30 p.m.
* Option 3 in Part 3 is only available to those who select Option 3 in Part 2