Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Risk Management Branch

Filing a Claim against the City of Winnipeg

If you believe that you have a claim against the City for bodily injury or damage to your property, you can file a claim against the City of Winnipeg.

You must provide the City with notification immediately following or as soon as possible after the damage or injury has occurred. A claimant may serve a notice of the claim or action in writing on the City Clerk.

Notification of a potential claim may be submitted in writing, by phone, email, Canada Post, or fax to 311. In some cases notification is required within seven days of the incident and therefore it is recommended that you or your authorized agent, notify the City's 311 Call Centre as soon as possible.

Contact 311 24/7 in any of the following ways:

Toll free:
1-877-311-4974 (4WPG)
CLAIM, 311 Services, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB R3B 1B9

Be prepared to provide:

  • Your name, home address, phone number(s) and e-mail address
  • Exact date, time and location of accident which caused the property damage or injury
  • Exact municipal address including a diagram and/or photo of accident location must be submitted immediately following filing with 311
  • Describe how the accident happened, who was involved, weather and visibility conditions, site description, and names and phone numbers of any witnesses
  • Detailed description of your property damage or injury
  • Include documentation that you believe support your claim such as: photos, receipts and estimates
  • Outline why you believe the City is responsible for the accident
  • Was anyone from City staff on site when this incident occurred, or any operational staff that may have knowledge of this incident? If so, please provide name(s) of City staff involved
  • If a City contractor was involved please provide contractor's name if known

Frequently asked questions

What should I consider when making a claim?

If you have automobile and property insurance, you should consult with your insurance representative first for advice on how to deal with your loss.

What should I do if property has been damaged?
  • Be aware of dangerous conditions such as electrical and other hazards.
  • Protect your property from further damage. Do not wait for the City to respond. The City will need time to complete its investigation. Document your damages with photographs, original invoices and bills of sale.
  • If possible keep any damaged property available for inspection.

You should contact your personal Insurance representative. If you believe that the City, or a contractor working on our behalf, is responsible, you may choose to submit a claim to the City.

What if my claim is involves a contracted company?

Upon receipt of information from the City division that a contractor had control over the accident location at the time of your loss, the City's adjuster may forward your claim to the contractor for their investigation and liability determination. You will be advised in writing when your claim has been forwarded to a contractor.

Will the City come out and fix my property?
  • No, the City will not perform work on private property nor is the City in a position to recommend a contractor to fix your property.

The City will repair or perform work in the right of way adjacent to your property.

What can I expect if I file a claim against the City of Winnipeg?

Third party liability claims take time to investigate. The minimum response time is 90 days. An investigation will be conducted by a City adjuster to determine if the City was in any way responsible in causing damage.

  • Payment from the City is not guaranteed.
  • If you choose to submit a claim against the City, it is important to outline why you believe the City is responsible for your accident, and provide proof of your damage or injury. This may require photos, repair quotes, invoices, medical reports, or other supporting documentation.
  • Once the investigation is complete the City will immediately communicate its decision. Any compensation paid to you will be based on your proof of loss directly relating to the City's negligence.
What will happen once my claim is submitted?
  • A letter acknowledging your claim will be sent within 20 days. The letter will include a claim reference number and provide some basic general information.
  • A City Adjuster will be assigned to investigate your claim. The information you provide at the outset of the claim will form the basis of our investigation.
  • Depending on the complexity of the claim, the investigation can take time. Information such as statements, professional opinions, processes, records, and policies will be obtained and evaluated.
  • The adjuster will attempt to complete straight forward property damage claims within 90 days however there are often circumstances that require a longer investigation. If you have not heard from your adjuster within 90 days, you can submit a claim status request to 311, with your claim reference number.
  • If the claim is not concluded within 90 days, you will receive a notification at approximately 90 days, confirming that the investigation is still ongoing and you will be notified immediately upon the completion of the investigation.
  • It is expected that your complete statement and all information and documentation you have, has been provided when your claim was submitted so you may not be contacted again until a decision is made. If during the investigation you wish to submit information not previously provided for the adjuster's consideration, you may submit through 311 referencing your claim number.
  • The City's decision will be provided to you in writing when the investigation is complete.
What will happen if my claim is denied?
  • Once all of the information is gathered and considered the City adjuster will outline the results of their investigation in a letter and provide you with the division's report that justifies the City's denial.
  • If you still wish to pursue your claim after being denied compensation, there are options that will be provided to along with this letter.
  • For more information regarding the claims process, please contact the City's 311 Call Centre.

Vehicle Damage Claims

Should I call Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI)?
  • Yes, it is required that you contact Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI), or your private automobile insurance company if out of Province, who will advise you on what steps can be taken to repair your vehicle, and the best way to recover your costs.
My vehicle was damaged in a pothole, what should I do?
  • Notify the City of the exact location of the pothole/hazard so any needed repair work can be done.
  • Document your damages with photographs, original invoices and bills of sale.

Submit your claim to your insurer, MPI or other automobile insurance company if out of Province.

Who will pay for damage to my vehicle?

If you proceed with an insurance claim through MPI or other automobile insurer, they will respond to your vehicle repairs in accordance with their insurance contract.

Pothole Claims

How are potholes reported?

The City identifies potholes through regular patrols and as reported by the public to 311. If you see a pothole on a city street, call 311 to report the condition and exact location.

Flooding and Sewer Back-Up

Last update: April 27, 2022

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.