Victoria Day – Monday, May 20. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services.

Victoria Day – Monday, May 20. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services.

Basement and overland flooding

Sandbags will not be available after April 25.

Basement flooding icon

Basement flooding

Basement flooding happens when the City’s sewer system is overwhelmed by heavy rainfall and wastewater backs up through house sewer lines and flows into basements that aren't protected.

Overland flooding icon

Overland flooding

Overland flooding happens when there’s too much water around your home due to poor drainage, either from excess snowmelt, a nearby water main break or heavy rain, and it seeps into your home through the outside walls.

Is my home at risk?

Since 1977, the City of Winnipeg has spent more than $290 million improving the city's sewer system to protect against basement flooding. However, there is still a risk of basement and overland flooding no matter where you live in Winnipeg. The causes of basement and overland flooding, such as excess snowmelt, heavy rainfall and water main breaks, are unpredictable.

Homes that are not protected by a backwater valve or sump pit drainage system are at greater risk of basement flooding. If you can’t tell whether or not your home has a backwater valve or sump pit drainage system, a licensed plumber may be able to help you.

The year your home was built can also help you determine whether or not you have a backwater valve or sump pit drainage system:

  • If your home was built after 1979, it was required by law to have a backwater valve installed.
  • Homes built since 1990 are required to have a sump pit drainage system installed.
  • Some older homes may have had backwater valves and sump pit drainage systems installed after construction.

How can I protect my home?

You can follow these steps to reduce the risk of basement and overland flooding:

  • Arrange for a licensed plumber to install a backwater valve or a sump pit drainage system (includes a sump pit, a sump pump, and a pump discharge pipe) on a sewer line in the basement of your home.
  • Check and maintain your backwater valve and sump pit drainage system regularly.
  • Don't drain water from your sump pump into your floor drain. Not only is it illegal, it increases the risk of basement flooding for you and your neighbours. The sewer system is designed to manage only normal flows of wastewater, not sump pump water. Keep the end of the hose well away from your property line so that water does not flow onto the street, lane, boulevard, sidewalk, or your neighbour's property.
  • Improve drainage around your house
  • Clear snow away from your foundation to prevent snowmelt from seeping in through the walls.
  • Don't throw garbage, grease or hazardous waste down your drains. Garbage that gets into your sewer through your drains can clog your sewer and cause sewer backup and grease hardens as it cools and sticks to the inner lining of sewer pipes, eventually causing a blockage.
  • Don't put grass clipping, leaves, or other debris on the streets as they can plug the drains and prevent proper drainage, particularly during heavy rainfalls. Plugged drains cause water to build up on the street, increasing your risk of basement flooding.
  • Prop appliances such as washers, dryers, and freezers off the floor by putting blocks of wood under them so they don't get damaged by water. It is common for backups to be less than a few inches of water.
  • Don't store belongings in cardboard boxes on the floor in the basement. Store them on a shelf or in plastic totes.

Cleaning up after a flood

Residents who encounter overland or basement flooding should:

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.