Changes to historical markers & place names
Due to a high volume of requests submitted to Welcoming Winnipeg, our response times are currently delayed as we work through a significant back log of requests. We thank all residents for their interest in the Welcoming Winnipeg process and appreciate your patience at this time.
Members of the public who would like to apply to create new, add to, or remove/rename historical markers and place names in Winnipeg to resolve the absence of Indigenous perspectives, experiences, and contributions to the stories remembered and commemorated are encouraged to submit a request.
Applicants must demonstrate how their request contributes to a Welcoming Winnipeg, which is defined as a request that:
- Ultimately achieves a balanced perspective/story
- Honours Indigenous peoples as the original peoples of this land and the contemporary context in which Indigenous peoples continue to have relationship with this land
- Promotes Indigenous reclamation of land, space and/or language
- Offers an educational opportunity
- Supports telling the complete history of Winnipeg
Once a request has been submitted it will be:
- Reviewed to ensure all required information has been included
- Shared online to allow members of the public to provide input for a two-week period
- Reviewed by the Committee of Community Members (CCM), who will assess the additional community input gathered before making a recommendation
- A report is submitted to Executive Policy Committee/Council with the CCM’s recommendation for its consideration and decision
Any member of the public can submit a request, as an individual or on behalf of an organization, provided they have submitted all required information and documents. The City will follow-up with the requestor to confirm whether all the information was received, or whether additional information is required within five business days of receiving the request.
Have your say
The Committee of Community Members (CCM) is considering the following requests and would like to hear from you. You can:
- Complete a short online survey
- Appear as a delegation before the CCM; delegates will have a maximum of 5 minutes to address the committee
- Call 204-986-4549 and leave a message explaining why you think a request should be supported or declined by the CCM. To ensure feedback is collected accurately, please quote the request number and/or name of the project
Feedback will be accepted for each Welcoming Winnipeg request for two weeks. Feedback received will be considered by the CCM as part of their recommendation-making process. Feedback received will be summarized and appear in the administrative report (appendix) presented to Executive Policy Committee/Council for its consideration and decision.