Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Planning, Property & Development

Waterway Permit Application

Learn about water permit requirements, the application process, required supporting materials, and payment of fees.

Open all | Close all

Waterway Permit

Any person proposing work within 106.7 m (350 ft.) of the regulated summer water level of the Red, Assiniboine, Seine and La Salle Rivers or within 76.2 m (250 ft.) of the regulated summer water level of Omand's, Bunn's, Sturgeon, and Truro creeks, within the boundaries of the City of Winnipeg, must obtain a Waterway Permit prior to commencing construction.

riverbank stabilizationA Waterway Permit is required for:

  • the deposit, removal, alteration or disturbance of any material
  • the construction or demolition of a building or other structure
  • the alteration of surface or subsurface drainage
  • the diversion of a waterway or alteration of a channel of a waterway

Applications can be submitted to:

The City of Winnipeg
Planning, Property & Development Department
Waterways Section
Unit 15 - 30 Fort Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3C 4X5
Telephone: 204-986-5098

Or electronically by Email to:

Waterway Permit Application Form

For more information or assistance please contact the Waterways Section at 204-986-5098 or via email .

Supporting Material to Accompany Application Form

Waterways reserves the right to request hard copies in some cases. All applicants must submit copies of scaled construction drawings as follows:

  1. Site Plan showing the location of the proposed works relative to the property lines, existing structures and the river or creek edge including:
    • legal description of the property
    • lot dimensions
    • dimensions of proposed works
    • location of waterway relative to proposed works
    • shortest distance of proposed works from the waterway (regulated summer water level)
    • modifications to site drainage

  2. Design Drawings (not preliminary plans) including:
    • foundation details
    • floor layout
    • building elevation
    • roof drainage
    • landscaping plans including all permanent structures and grading
    • any other relevant information
Submission of Lot Grading Plan and Sections

The City may request that a Lot Grade Plan and/or sections be submitted in support of the permit application.

Lot Grade Design should include:

  • existing and proposed grades, including along the edges of the property.
  • all slope changes, or hinge/inflection points
  • building outline, and geodetic elevations of basement and ground floor.
  • proposed grades around the perimeter of the structures and at along the property line
  • location of downspouts and sump pump discharge

(note: these criteria do not supersede or replace requirements established by other authorities).

Section (s) should include:

  • surveyed points along a line representing the minimum distance of the proposed works to the river or creek edge and/or other critical sections
  • building outline, and geodetic elevations of basement and ground floor.
  • existing and proposed grades along the length of the cross section, showing any cut or fill areas.

Multiple sections may be required.

*Note: Please contact the Waterways Section at 204-986-5098 or via email: to determine if the submission of a Lot Grade Design or survey section as prepared by Manitoba Land Surveyor or Professional Engineer is required in support of your application.

Submission of Engineer's Report

The City may request that an Engineer's report be submitted in support of the permit application. The report may be a professional opinion, office study, or a detailed geotechnical study as justified by the risk, complexity and uncertainty associated with the project and the riverbank. The report shall be prepared and submitted under the signature and seal of a qualified professional engineer that is skilled in geotechnical engineering, and legally entitled to practice in the Province of Manitoba.

Construction within the Designated Floodway Fringe Area

If the works are located within the Designated Floodway Fringe Area, flood proofing measures must be incorporated in compliance with the Designated Floodway Fringe Area Regulation 266/91. For further information, contact the Zoning Development Branch at 204-986-5140.

Review of Applications

Applications are processed according to the order in which they are received.

The time frame to process and complete the technical assessment for each application will vary depending upon the volume of applications, and the complexity and nature of the proposed project.

A Waterway Permit will be issued pursuant to Waterway By-law No. 5888/92. If you disagree with any decision of Waterways, an objection may be made to the Standing Policy Committee on Water and Waste, Riverbank Management and the Environment of the City of Winnipeg, c/o Clerk of the Standing Policy Committee on Water and Waste, Riverbank Management and the Environment, City Clerks Department, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 1B9.

Payment of Fees

This non-refundable fee is required at the time of the application. The City accepts the following forms of payment:

  • Cash
  • Cheque (payable to the City of Winnipeg)
  • Debit
  • Money Order
  • Trust Account
  • Visa
  • Mastercard
  • American Express
Schedule of Fees

Important Notice

  • Other approvals such as zoning variance, building permit, Floodway Fringe Area Regulation approvals may be required prior to proceeding with work.  To identify any such approvals you may wish to have your Waterway Permit Application and project details reviewed by the Zoning Development Branch at Unit 31 – 30 Fort Street. Call 204-986-5140 for more information.

  • For winter construction on the City's frozen waterways, a Frozen Waterway Permit must be obtained through the Zoning and Permits office at 204-986-5140. In particular, vehicular traffic or the establishment of a structure on the ice surface is prohibited without this Permit.

Last update: November 9, 2022

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.