Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Planning, Property & Development

Waterway Permit Record Searches

You can request a search of waterway records to find out if Waterway Permits have been issued on a particular property.

To initiate a waterway record search, submit your request to:

City of Winnipeg
Waterways Section
Unit 15 - 30 Fort Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3C 4X5

Or by email:

  • You must pay a $61.00 fee (PST/GST not applicable) to the City of Winnipeg at the time of your request.
  • Include the following information with your written request:
    • Property description, including street address and legal description
    • Legal survey (if available)

Payment of Fees

This non-refundable fee is required at the time of the Permit Record Search request. The City accepts the following forms of payment:

  • Credit Card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express)
  • Trust Account
  • Cheque (payable to the City of Winnipeg)
  • Debit
  • Money Order
  • Cash

Schedule of Fees (Effective January 1, 2024)

Per the Planning, Development and Building Fees By-law No. 66/2016 and Fees and Charges By-law No. 196/2008, fees are payable to the City of Winnipeg as per Waterways Permit Fees.

Information Related to Waterway Record Searches:

  • Copies of Waterway Permit(s) on record for a property are released after you make a written or email request and pay the required fee.
  • This service does not include property inspections or permit review documents used to establish compliance with issued permits.
  • From 1951 to 1995, waterway construction was regulated by the Rivers and Streams Act. A Waterway Permit Record search will also include permits issued under this Act.
  • Please note that the specific rivers and creeks regulated by the respective Acts and By-laws and related amendments have changed over the years, as have the dimensions of the Regulated Area.
  • Under the current City of Winnipeg Waterway By-law 5888/92, the Regulated Area is contained within the boundaries of the City of Winnipeg and extends 106.7 m (350 ft.) from the Red, Assiniboine, Seine and La Salle rivers and 76.2 m (250 ft.) from Sturgeon, Truro, Omand's and Bunn's creeks respectively.
Last update: February 13, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.