Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Planning, Property & Development

Public Hearing Process

The Public Hearing process is designed to provide the public with an opportunity to convey their views on development applications or other matter under a City by-law. Public Hearings are open to all members of the public.
Learn more about the Public Hearing Process.

Public Hearing Checklist

  • The applicant and any other persons in support of the development application (i.e. rezoning and/or subdivision application) should be prepared to speak in favour of the proposal and to answer any questions.
  • It is useful to present drawings of the proposed development and to explain the effect on adjacent properties.
  • Be prepared to address opposition from those who feel the proposed development has an injurious effect and impact on their property or the neighbourhood.
  • Advertisements for public meetings (in newspapers and on posters) include the contact information for the District Planner. The Planner can assist you in understanding the development application.
  • For those in opposition of the proposed development, please consider the following: 
    • Attend the public hearing.
    • Weigh all options to better understand the details of the proposed development.
    • Be prepared to provide details and evidence to support your reasons for opposition.
    • Select a limited number of spokespersons for large groups.
    • Focus on the actual issues considered by the Community Committee for the proposed development.
  • There are no public representations after the public meeting.
  • If you have written to the Community Committee or registered your attendance at the public hearing, you will be advised of each step in the process via mail.

City Council Makes the Final Decision
The Community Committee concludes the public meeting with a recommendation to the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, Heritage, and Downtown Development which in turn considers the rezoning application and makes a recommendation to the Executive Policy Committee. The Executive Policy Committee considers all previous recommendations and makes a recommendation to the City Council. City Council receives the recommendation of the Executive Policy Committee and makes the final decision.

  • City Council decides if the rezoning and/or subdivision application should be rejected, approved or approved subject to special conditions being met. Special conditions vary with each application and range from entering into necessary agreements, submitting servicing reports and traffic impact studies, etc.
  • If approved, the applicant will be granted two (2) years to enact the necessary rezoning and/or subdivision by-law or Council’s approval will expire.
  • Prior to enactment of the necessary rezoning and/or subdivision by-law, the applicant will be required to submit the following:
    • Plan of Subdivision mylars prepared by a Manitoba Land Surveyor as per the City of Winnipeg Charter Act.
    • Payment for 10% cash in lieu of land dedication if park land is not dedicated within the development application.
    • Payment for document preparation and processing fees such as related agreements and easements.
  • Upon compliance with Council’s adopted report, Council may enact the zoning by-law imposing a one (1) year expiry date for the applicant to initiate the coming into force terms and conditions of the by-law.  This may include:
    • Enter into, execute and register a zoning agreement with the Winnipeg Land Titles Office.
    • Enter into, execute and register a development or servicing agreement (controls installation of any pavement, sidewalks or underground utilities) with the Winnipeg Land Titles Office.
    • Enter into, execute and register other agreements depending on the zoning change.
    • Enter into, execute and register necessary easements as prescribed by the Public Service.
    • Register the Plan of Subdivision in series with all necessary agreements with the Winnipeg Land Titles Office.

Public Notices
Development applications may be viewed on the City Clerks Decision Making Information System (DMIS).

Last update: May 30, 2023

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.