National Day for Truth and Reconciliation – Saturday, September 30. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services from September 30 to October 2.
Demolition contractor licensing program
A City of Winnipeg demolition contractor licence is required to apply for a permit to demolish a building/structure or a part of a building/structure. A demolition contractor licence is not required for residential accessory structures, including decks, detached garages and other accessory structures larger than 10 m2 (108 sq. ft.), such as carports, storage sheds, gazebos and workshops.
The program offers three licensing options:
- a full licence for all demolitions (D1)
- a limited licence for residential demolitions only (single/two family dwellings and row housing) (D2)
- a project manager licence for builders/developers to facilitate sub-contracting of demolition activities to a D1 or D2 licensed contractor (D-Prime)
Demolition companies must meet the following criteria to obtain a D1 or D2 licence:
- COR or SECOR certification
- Verification of appropriate liability insurance (certificate of insurance must indicate that operations include demolition)
- Payment of an annual contractor licence fee
Note: There will be no annual licensing fee for 2023.
Companies not COR/SECOR certified must:
- register for certification to meet licensing requirements in 2023
- achieve certification by 2024
To obtain a D-Prime licence, only payment of an annual contractor licence fee is required.
How to apply
For more information and to apply for a licence, refer to the Licensed demolition contractor information and application.
Please contact us.