Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Planning, Property & Development

Residential Buildings Fire Safety By-law 4304/86

The Residential Buildings Fire Safety By-law 4304/86 sets out core fire safety standards for residential buildings. The City implemented the by-law on a staged basis from 1986 to 1996 to give building owners enough time to comply.

The following multi-residential buildings may be subject to the Residential Building Fire Safety By-law:

  • tri-plexes
  • four-plexes
  • apartments
  • condominiums
  • convents
  • dormitories
  • hotels
  • motels
  • hostels
  • monasteries

These buildings may require installation and upgrading of building components and systems, including but not limited to:

  • fire alarms
  • fire exits and fire escapes
  • emergency lighting
  • exit signage
  • fire doors and hardware
  • sprinkler systems
  • fire separations
  • fire fighter elevators
  • standpipe systems

The City will issue penalties to any buildings that have not come into compliance.

Frequently asked questions

Open all | Close all

Why did the City impose a penalty for building owners for not being in compliance with the Residential Buildings Fire Safety By-law 4304/86 after so many years?

After the by-law was implemented over a 10-year period from 1986 to 1996, a number of buildings were still not in compliance. The City decided to pass on the costs of by-law enforcement directly to non-compliant building owners, removing the financial responsibility from taxpayers.

Do the building owners know that they were non-compliant?

While ownership may have changed over the years, the due diligence process of a property sale should include determining the status of the building through an inquiry to the City. Inquiries from building owners would have resulted in a compliance status report, informing building owners about any issues.

How can a building owner verify that their building is compliant with the bylaw?

The building owner needs to determine what elements of the requirements are not in compliance and then address any issues.

This information could be obtained by:

  • Review previous correspondence or Orders from the City on outstanding issues
  • Contact your assigned City inspector
  • Engage an architect or engineer to certify a building’s compliance
What is the City’s current plan to ensure buildings comply with the bylaw?

Once full compliance is achieved, the City shares a report with the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service, who then accepts the responsibility to conduct periodic inspections to ensure on-going compliance is maintained.

What if I have a complaint about the condition of an existing structure?

Call 311 to ensure your complaint is handled by the appropriate City department.


Email or phone 204-986-5190 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.

Last update: February 21, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.