Home-based business

Is a permit required?

Yes, a development permit is required.

If business mail comes to your home and/or administrative duties are conducted from your home, a home-based business development permit is required as per the Winnipeg Zoning By-law. Zoning and development permit approval is required before building permit application. 

Yes, a building permit is required.

If you are operating a bed and breakfast, or a daycare with more than eight children, a building permit is required to confirm the building meets code requirements as per the Winnipeg Building By-law.

Zoning information

The zoning bylaw regulates home-based businesses by ensuring the character of a residential area is maintained and not impacted by noise, traffic or other activities associated with a commercial enterprise. A home-based business may be a full-time, part-time, or an occasional venture. Many types of home-based businesses, such as offices, are permitted under the zoning bylaw and a home-based business development permit is issued to establish the zoning use.

A home-based business that provides a personal service on the premises to serve customers (beauty salon, pet grooming. repair service, counselling services, etc.) and/or includes a maximum of two non-resident employees requires administrative conditional use approval, in addition to the home-based business development permit.

Application requirements

Review the development and building permit process to help navigate application requirements.

To apply for a home-based business development permit, submit the relevant application form(s) and supporting documentation, where required.

Once your development permit is approved, submit a building permit application. Refer to the application for documentation that must be included.

Note:  It is the responsibility of the home-based business owner/operator to ensure they meet all the requirements set out by federal, provincial and City of Winnipeg acts, regulations and bylaws.

How to apply

Ensure you have all required documentation before applying.


Please contact us.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.