Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Citizens Information Service
Public Works

Boulevard and Pavement Cuts

The City of Winnipeg Public Works Department Engineering Division plays an important role in overseeing the restoration of approximately 4,500 street cuts each year.

Our mission is the management and effective restoration of excavations in the Right-of-Way, which ensures quality and continued use of our City's street infrastructure to the satisfaction of our customer.

Our vision is to continuously improve our cut restoration management, achieve fewer disruptions within the Right-of-Way infrastructure and improve quality restoration service.

What is a Street Cut?

Street cuts are any cut, break, tear, excavation, or the removal of any part of the surface within the right-of-way. This work is performed by utility companies, private contractors, and/or city crews to repair existing or install new infrastructure. This includes but is not limited to gas, water, wastewater, communication lines, etc.

If at any time you notice the street cut area is unsafe, please contact 311.

Street cuts are temporarily capped and filled until permanent restoration can be completed. These cuts are to be kept in a condition that are safe for which that portion of the Right-of-Way is reasonably expected to be used until permanent restoration. This may include temporary rough / uneven surfaces that are not graded to existing condition. An unsafe cut would include situations where the temporary restoration has sunk considerably below existing surfaces, undermining of pavement surfaces, and heaved sections that create tripping hazards. 

Street Cut Process

  1. Authorized permit applicant obtains a street cut permit;
  2. Applicant carries out work by excavating boulevard and/or pavement;
  3. Applicant backfills and maintains the street cut until permanently restored;
  4. Public Works assesses permanent restoration requirements;
  5. Restoration is completed by a City crew or licensed contractor;
  6. Public Works inspects the restoration to ensure compliance with City Standards and Specifications.

Restoration Scheduling

Street cuts are performed year-round, with temporary restorations taking place to make the excavation safe until permanent restorations can be scheduled. For more information, please see Cut Administration/Restoration.

Last update: January 11, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.