Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Citizens Information Service
Public Works

Underground Structures (UGS)

Responsibilities of the Underground Structures Branch include:

  • Underground infrastructure alignment approval;
  • Underground infrastructure information provision;
  • Utility coordination;
  • Underground structures database acquisition;
  • Records management;
  • Composite construction database;
  • Reviewing/updating alignment standards;
  • Provides support to Underground Structures Committee.

What is an "underground structure?"

An underground structure is a facility or structure including pipes, wires, mains, sewers, ducts, conduit and related equipment, in, on, over, under, along or across streets rights-of-way, which from time to time require repair, extension, or replacement.

AWPA Uniform Color Code for Marking Underground Facilities:

Underground facilities shall be marked in accordance with the following designated color code:

Proposed Excavation
White: Pre-marking of the outer limits of the proposed excavation or marking the centerline and width of proposed lineal installations of buried facilities.
Temp Survey Markings
Pink: Temporary Survey Markings.
Red: Electric power lines, cables or conduit, and lighting cables.
Gas - Oil - Steam
Yellow: Gas, oil, steam, petroleum, or other hazardous liquid or gaseous materials.
Communication CATV
Orange: Communications, cable TV, alarm or signal lines, cables or conduits.
Blue: Water, irrigation, and slurry lines.
Reclaimed Water
Purple: Slurry and reclaimed.
Green: Sewers, drainage facilities or other drain lines.

Service Fees:

The fee for service rate charged to users is $140.00 per hour.


Underground Structures Approval:

Phone: 204-986-2748


Information Request:

Phone: 204-986-6401


Last update: January 17, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.